Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto trans vs

andy_man343

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 ute manual
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. I have a vs aclaim and i recently serviced the transmission and it goes great, only thing is it doesnt change back through gears when done manually e.g from (4th - 3rd, 2nd - 1st). i dont know to much about the autos so any help would be good thanks.

kmaybz

Reaction score
check for fault codes ect,and also look at the linkages

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
It won't normally change back at high revs. It should change back at low to moderate revs though. Go back to the place which you got your transmission serviced. If they are good at their job, then I guarantee 100% that they will be the best people to answer this question.

Oh, and if you are still unhappy with the auto not changing manually when you want it to, then I would go and buy a manual.

I don't see any point in manually driving an auto unless you have a full manaulised auto like i do in my 10 sec vl, or just go and buy a manual vehicle or do a conversion. Then any gear is yours for the taking at anytime you wish :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. I have a vs aclaim and i recently serviced the transmission and it goes great, only thing is it doesnt change back through gears when done manually e.g from (4th - 3rd, 2nd - 1st). i dont know to much about the autos so any help would be good thanks.

When you say it doesn't change back do you mean that if you are going at say 60kph in D and you select 3 or 2 it stays in D?
Also can you manually start in 1 then change to 2, then 3 then D?

andy_man343

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 ute manual
When you say it doesn't change back do you mean that if you are going at say 60kph in D and you select 3 or 2 it stays in D?
Also can you manually start in 1 then change to 2, then 3 then D?

Yes if im doing 60 in D it wont go back to 3rd or 2nd, i know auto trans is gay but i was hunting a manual vs but had to take mine i was in need of a car. I dont the service myself just dump the pan an put in a new filter kit new fluid etc.. Could someone tell me how to check for fault codes? I have only owned older cars without computers and i hate all this computer bull. I want to do a manual conversion but most ppl tell me it isnt worth it. Im keen for it though finding a manual box etc wouldnt be easy id imagine. cheers fellas

andy_man343

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 ute manual
Also it holds gears when im speding up like 1st holds as long as i want til i manualy change to 2nd and so on.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Don't stress out too much on the complicated electronics...they are pretty reliable and do things unimagineable a few years ago. The way I found best to understand a little about how the electronics worked was to just pick one component and then read up about it - how it works and what it tells the computer...then try another one.
Your auto sounds very strange......
However, to check the codes follow this link:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

andy_man343

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 ute manual
Don't stress out too much on the complicated electronics...they are pretty reliable and do things unimagineable a few years ago. The way I found best to understand a little about how the electronics worked was to just pick one component and then read up about it - how it works and what it tells the computer...then try another one.
Your auto sounds very strange......
However, to check the codes follow this link:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

Yeah it is very strange to me:bang: i will check out the link cheers mate il let yas know how i go. Any one else reckon conversion is a good idea?

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Manual conversion is very very very worth it. Just got mine back on the road properly last night, it is freaking awesome:yeah::yeah:

There are plenty of manual conversions around if you are patient, I picked mine up for 500$. I think there is one on boost for sale at the moment actually.