Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Trans - What are my options?

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
So, the transmission (4L60-E) on my VS 5.0 Caprice needs rebuilding, I've been quoted around $2K... I'm wondering what my other options would be and what the cost would be.. If I purchased a 2nd hand box, how difficult would this be to fit myself? Access to tools (and a bit of extra labour) isn't an issue as my mate has his own workshop and my old man and bro have offered to help.

Currently have about $1500 spare but if this isn't going to cut it and the cheapest option is to go with the rebuild then thats what I'll have to do, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
got a vs auto for v6 from a 100,00km car through wreckers for 150 bucks recently
flushed oil out and changed filter has been fine for 8 months now

we changed it together in 3 hours anda carton of coronas!~
actually without the beer might have taken a lot less time come to think of it!~

if your mechanic mate is helping and you have hoist maybe 2 hours

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You can't use a v6 auto with a 5ltr. Totally different belhousing and the genius who designed them didn't make them removeable.

You're in for a prick of a job mate, Been there done that and it was easier to go Manual. Also good luck getting the bastard out. Almost impossible without taking the motor out too.

*Manual conversion could be done for $1650, using a ford T5 and a CRC conversion kit.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
come on soop ive done em too there not that bad especially with hoist and a tranny jack!~

try doing a captiva one!~

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh we had jack stands and a about 3ft off room. Not cool. Neither of us could get our hands up far enough to reach the bolts on the bell housing of the Auto. The 5ltr bellhousing is a fair whack wider then the 6. Even when we could get a spanner onto the bolts, couldn't turn the ####er.

Ended up being way easier to just pull the whole motor.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol i went out to a truck breakdown the other day
picture a crane and a truck gearbox then do a clutch five guys took 4.5 hours on the side of a highway
apparently was still cheaper than towing it!~

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I've done a clutch in a Kenworth with a roadranger. Tried to kill me even. Lost the use in my left pinky finger... Bastard thing. Pretty freaky seeing your finger being about 8" long.

And that scenario sounds retarded. Someone should have told the driver/owner to go root themselves.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
ah the joys of being a heavy mechanic not for me hes on call all the time but gets like over a thousand dollars for a call out

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
Cheers guys, Might have a crack at doing it myself.. Otherwise the conversion to manual is definitely something to think about ;)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Let us know when you start. I want to time it from when you start to the "WTF???" post.