Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto transmission extension seal change and fluid flush

Chad_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2001 VX Acclaim 3.8L
Hello gents,
I need some advice.

My VX auto transmission extension housing seal is leaking and I plan to replace it. The tailshaft centre bearing also needs replacing as it is splitting.

My plan is to remove the tailshaft and replace the centre bearing and the extension housing seal in the one sitting. I had then planned to do a transmission fluid flush/filter and pan gasket replacement the next day. I want to do the transmission fluid flush after the seal replacement so that any particles dislodged in the seal change will be caught by the old filter, in the old fluid.

Here's what I need to know:
- How much fluid will I lose when the shaft/seal is removed? A litre? Two? Or will it gush out?
- Are my concerns about particles being dislodged when the seal is changed reasonable?
- Is it worthwhile doing the flush the day after the seal replacement?

I have some spare fluid to top up the system if I do lose a bit during the seal change (which I expect to).

Thanks guys,
Chad

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You'll lose 10ml tops when you take the seal off.

To do a filter change on the 4 speed you'll use approx 4.2L of oil to do a change. There wont be many, if any particles that go back into the gearbox itself.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Yep, agree with Sabbath, only way you will get a little bit of seepage out the rear of the gearbox is if you have the car jacked up at the front and lower the rear of the gearbox down if ya know what I mean. As any fluid is leaking out, not in, bugger all crap will go back into the gearbox.

Chad_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2001 VX Acclaim 3.8L
Ok thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

Chad