Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Transmission issue

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
Update: things went ok for a week or 2, then started happening again every other day.

Got really bad this week and car is spending the night at Holden, after them having it for a day.

In the call I got from them, they said they found something they weren’t happy with, not sure exactly what. But did say tomorrow morning would be fully replacing transmission fluid and reprogramming as well.

When I get the full details will post again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Juicifruitz any updates? i'm curious.

Sounds like a dangerous issue to deal with in traffic so it must be considered a major fault.

Keep in mind that where a consumer suffers a major fault, they can ask for a full refund of purchae price from the seller - it's their legal right.
Where they have suffered a minor fault that had taken a few attempts to fix but the problem still exists, this is then treated as a major fault.
How about excersising your legal right and get a full refund?
Then go buy a new car, be it Holden V6, V8, MSE, Euro, Jap, Lorean, whatever...
C'mon, i dare ya

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
Just got back from Holden, in a rental, that Holden are paying for. They finally found the fault, but wouldn’t tell me exactly what the cause was, only that during a test drive today after doing a reprogram of the transmission it was losing gears. They are replacing the whole transmission with a newly rebuilt one again they are paying for it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hm, i'd demand to know what was wrong and have them show me some proof of what they found.
I'd also want a new transmission, not somthing rebuild by Joe blogs down the road - or better still a full purchase price refund.

I had such an issue where Mazda Australia was paying for a gearbox rebuild. When the same problem poped up, Mazda handballed me back to the dealer saying they were the ones that rebuilt it. I was younger, not as seasoned and we had weaker consumer laws back so many years ago, so I accepted Mazdas that crap which gave me lots of headaches with teh dumb **** dealer service deparment. But i wouldn't put myelf in that situation these days, i'd demand my consumer rights and a full purchase price refund ;)

Reco gearbox + rental or you could have been driving out in a new car?

It's your call

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ford wanted to rebuild the motor in my daughter's hocus pocus Focus. I demanded a new engine and we got one. This car was bought S/H, not new.
The QA at the factory, is going to be better than a dealer. Demand a replacement. Not a rebuild.

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
There is a known problem in some 6L80's in our cars. You are not the first to have this issue. With those low miles, they should install a factory new transmission. I believe the problem is in the torque convertor that send debris into the rest of the transmission. Make sure they flush the oil cooler and cooler lines thoroughly to remove contaminants. Otherwise the new transmission will be junk in a few thousand miles also. B.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Juicifruitz any progress on your gearbox fix?

So how does a normal SSV auto shift when accelerating from 40 to 110kph at 3/4 WOT?
I ask as the other day i had two distinct pauses, as if spark or fuel were cut, while the gearbox did it's thing changing gears...
Never had experianced such on any auto i'v owned previously :eek:

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Sounds like it’s tagging the limiter from what you describe. They have a few different types from what i’ve noticed. When your travelling at speed versus wheel spinning. Mine used to do what you describe before I had my tuner drop a heap of the torque management out of the trans tune. It feels like when a turbo runs out of boost at redline. Then the motor pauses followed by the up shift..It shouldn’t do it in Manual mode tho

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
Hi guys,

I get the car back tomorrow, rang a number of Holden spare parts, and was advised by all that there are no factory new transmissions available.

When I last spoke to them I did ask for more details on what was wrong, was told they don’t check internals of the transmissions themselves, just once they agree fault with them they rip it out and replace. Almost as well if they don’t want something getting out about issues with transmissions.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
...rang a number of Holden spare parts, and was advised by all that there are no factory new transmissions available...
Whatever the case, the fact their are no new spare parts available shouldn’t become your problem. If it takes time for Holden to source a new parts, be it many months, Holden should continue to provide a similar loaner vehicle to yours to cover the undue delay of their own making (not having enough spare parts stock).

I feel Holden should have installed a new transmission in a next to new vehicle (with only 19k kms and likely anywhere from 2 to 5 years of warranty left). But what’s done is done. Just make sure they flushed the trans cooler and lines before installing it as mentioned by @LodiBruce.

I’m sure you’re looking forward to getting your vehicle back so enjoy it and let’s hope the problem has been fixed for good.

Just curious, being that it’s reco transmission, who reco-ed it and what warranty will the transmission have? What warranty will the installation have? How much warranty left on your vehicle?