Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto transmission replacement 4L60-E

Fastcar

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ecotec series2 plus a VE SV6 series2
Is there anything I should know when swapping my 4L60-E for a replacement one? I have a vgc replacement ready to go in. Any tips tricks or cautions most welcome. :) I'll be doing it on the garage floor!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Make sure the torque converter is fitted properly into the transmission before fitting the transmission in the car. Put trans fluid into the converter before fitting into the transmission.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Is there anything I should know when swapping my 4L60-E for a replacement one? I have a vgc replacement ready to go in. Any tips tricks or cautions most welcome. :) I'll be doing it on the garage floor!
To add to the food for thought when you engage the t/c, rotate it on the shaft noticing it engage further in 2-3 stages. Rule of thumb is place a straight edge accross the mating face of the bell house to engine side and messure to the most centre face of the t/c and should be maybee 20mm of clearance. There is a tool to hold it in place. If not dont tilt the auto with t/c forward or it will disengaged. Fit it as level as possible with the jack supporting the weight. Once it seems to fit snug you may be able to fit a couple of bolts by hand to the engine also the auto to floor crossmember then check the t/c spins. If so continue to bolt up then, bolt the t/c to flexplate tourq bolts , connect all you disconected. If the t/c doesnt spin remove the auto enough keeping it level to spin the t/c by hand and re engage it. Try again. This is not a coppy of a service manual, it is from past experience fitting also reading from manuals. Best to purchase or downlaod a service manual for specifics..Hope all goes well as previose posters have had fitting issues..

Fastcar

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ecotec series2 plus a VE SV6 series2
Thanks for those tips. I will be doing the job in about a weeks time.