Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto transmission service

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
You can do it yourself. The tricky bit is the filter seal. If it comes out, your all
good. Just replace. If it gets stuck, it’s a pain the a rse. It can’t just be pried out because you can’t scratch where the seal fits in.
I prefer getting flushes done so far more oil is changed out.
It’s about the one job I pay someone to do. I have someone I trust to do it.
fair enough spose i can have a go and just hope she's loose. first time ive ever said that.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You can remove the return hose from the trans line from the radiator and start the car just to pump out as much as you can then stop it and then jack the car.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I do my 4 speed myself it's easy but very dirty job. If you had a good quality big syringe to suck fluid out through the Dipstick tube then it will be easy. Just clean the pan and magnet Very Well before you put it back on. I use a little bit of permatex number 3 between the pan and gasket. And if you choose penrite fluid use FS and NOT LV. ( LV makes the 4speed slip when it changes gear)
If you give it another service in a few months that will be about the same as having a flush done and have all new fluid in it.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
i did mine on ramps and left the old filter seal in like another post sujested it was still a tight fit so still good to use i used a little bit of rtv to keep the floppy cork gasket in place lighned up with bolt holes .alo other posts mention not to over tighten bolts

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
I do my 4 speed myself it's easy but very dirty job. If you had a good quality big syringe to suck fluid out through the Dipstick tube then it will be easy. Just clean the pan and magnet Very Well before you put it back on. I use a little bit of permatex number 3 between the pan and gasket. And if you choose penrite fluid use FS and NOT LV. ( LV makes the 4speed slip when it changes gear)
If you give it another service in a few months that will be about the same as having a flush done and have all new fluid in it.
starting to sound like a fun job

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's easy to do just always a dirty job. Get a big drain pan so you don't mess up the driveway.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This is good, that's what I use, but if you remove the hose from the radiator and start your car and just drain it into a bucket, no mess either way.
upload_2019-12-21_3-16-35.jpeg

CliveSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Thunder Ute - L76 Auto
Good idea to torque pan bolts in the correct sequence. 12Nm. Also check and re torque after say 1,000 km as the bolts can become loose over time, resulting in ATF weeping past the gasket.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
VZ = 100,000km intervals, fluid out, filter out, pan cleaned.
It is best not to drain the fluid after a drive where the transmission is hot.
I was 5,000km off a scheduled (second) routine transmission service with no problems to speak of.