Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto transmission slipping when hot 1997 VS series 2

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Jee that's a lot spent on a VS transmission. I had a full rebuild on an AW4, including reconditioning the torque converter for $1800. Having a donor car is a good idea but I wouldn't assume your trans is buggard. It needs a service first and then see what happens.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

I changed the TPS and the problem went away. Don't ask me why the TPS affected my trans and made it felt like it was slipping and had no drive because I have NFI on the electronics that regulate how a modern trans operates. I just know that replacing the part fixed my issue. People on here was telling me it was solenoids. But I checked with my trans tech and he said replace the TPS and see what happens. Mine revved out 2 or 3 times on different occasions like the Op's, like it was slipping did it around 90 -100kph. It wouldn't move when it revved I had to pull over and restart the car to get it going.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But given the OP has shed light on how long it has been since it was serviced then like everyone has said it needs a service before anything else.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Do you have VR or VS?
My VR series 2 did not have the external trans cooler when I got it, but was recommended to when I had the towbar installed and told to leave it in 3 when towing. Just went to the wreckers and picked one up for under $20 with brackets and hoses.
All the VS I have seen have had the external cooler already fitted even though they did not always have a towbar.

H

harrop.senator

I've not had a factory fitted vs one without the towing or country pack.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Do you have VR or VS?
My VR series 2 did not have the external trans cooler when I got it, but was recommended to when I had the towbar installed and told to leave it in 3 when towing. Just went to the wreckers and picked one up for under $20 with brackets and hoses.
All the VS I have seen have had the external cooler already fitted even though they did not always have a towbar.
VS and has a cooler.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Or tow in power mode, basically it will stay in 3rd when ever it's under load and it'll bump up the line pressure a bit to and as the others have said, get it serviced pronto and fit the largest external cooler you can find and hope no permanent damage is done.

Interesting about driving it in power mode. I have always done that for a long time. I heard years ago it's better on the trans to drive it in power mode, towing or not. Hence I never turn it off. I don't have a ext cooler on mine yet but my trans tech is fitting one in a few months time when he services the trans.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
After the VS, Holden increased the size of the Auto Transmission fluid capacity. You see references to DEEP pan.
That was probably cheaper (for Holden) than fitting transmission fluid coolers to all Commodores.
The standard radiator spec also had oil cooler tanks in both ends of the radiator by the time the VT2 and VX came out.
I know transmission coolers are a good thing, my 1974 Torana (sad) had a small leak in the oil cooler. The old man fixed it, by bypassing the oil cooler and forgetting about it. Obviously it was all my fault when I drove the car on the day that the auto transmission failed. $1500 estimate from the mechanic meant the end of that car.