Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Vs Manual

M

matta

I'm just about to buy in the next hour a VY SS Ute and I can't decide auto Vs manual. It will be my daily driver. Price is the same. It will be lowered with all the gear.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE

Kim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Evoke Wagon
Manuals have a sportier feel and are a little cheaper on fuel. Autos are generally faster down the drag strip but do sap a bit of energy from the engine but not so as you would notice.

Really it is a question of taste. What are you expecting of your new toy? Do you want to tow things with her or just play? If it is just play then I would suggest the manual!

Kim

M

matta

Well, it's a work car and generally all I do is drive around and see people. I have actually made the call and have gone the AUTO. If it was my personal car I would have gone the manual no question but it's a work car and in traffic the manual would make my left leg bigger than my right.

Thanks for your help.

MATTA

Kim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Evoke Wagon
Kewl!

Well have fun with her when you get her! Shove a pic up here when you pcik her up if you can!

K

S

Stoneheart

I have 2 cars one with a auto and the other is a manual, the manual is more fun to drive NOT AT LATE NIGHT WHEN IM HEADING BACK HOME. Some times when I’m in the middle of the traffic going to work early morning, damn I wish I were driving the auto.

I’ll be buying a VY Lumina SS by the end of this year when the 2005 models arrive at the dealers I’ll be going with an auto

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have two cars ..one manual one auto and I have found that the manual is more fun to drive but the auto is easier to get going from a standing start. The manual fools you with the speed you think you are going as by the time you are in top gear you are breaking the speed limit unless you are babying the car.
I would have to say the manual feels rougher as you drive it and it is a pain on a hill or in traffic when everyone around you are in autos and they can amble up to the lights and you have to slip the clutch a bit.....but you get used to it .
But for driving generally without traffic I would much prefer to drive the manual ....you don't seem to have to use the brakes as much and seem to be more in control of the car.....not to mention the noise it makes on underrun or when you are down shifting.

S

Stoneheart

QUOTE (markovr @ Feb 4 2004, 01:19 AM) I have two cars ..one manual one auto and I have found that the manual is more fun to drive but the auto is easier to get going from a standing start. The manual fools you with the speed you think you are going as by the time you are in top gear you are breaking the speed limit unless you are babying the car.
I would have to say the manual feels rougher as you drive it and it is a pain on a hill or in traffic when everyone around you are in autos and they can amble up to the lights and you have to slip the clutch a bit.....but you get used to it .
But for driving generally without traffic I would much prefer to drive the manual ....you don't seem to have to use the brakes as much and seem to be more in control of the car.....not to mention the noise it makes on underrun or when you are down shifting.
agreed