Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto VY help

rodcassie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Hothouse Auto
Previously I had a VY manual, and now I have an auto.I have been very disappointed with the performance (power and fuel efficiency) of the auto. I have fitted a cold air intake and sport air filter - did not really improve things a great deal.

I remember driving an HSV auto some time ago and noticed the gear change was very purposeful - does anyone know of a modification that can be made to the auto to smarten things up?

I guess I will also be looking at the exhaust and air flow meter down the track.

Incidentally, if you are ever in Gosford, NSW keep an eye on your wheels. Had my standard rear rims and tyres stolen last week... can't understand anyone wanting standard SS rims so bad. Anyway, I now have a full set of brand new Mangels and Yoko tyres - there was a silver lining...

rod:w00t:

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I've seen this item on eBay before... Don't know what it would do, but could this be the enchancement you are referring to?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hmmm, you're the second person with a VY SS on this forum recently who's complained about underwhelming performance:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=36782
(His is a manual though).

I don't know what the problem is, cos mine is standard and it hauls ass!! :driving:

I know what you mean about the soft, long gear changes though. It can be a pain, especially when you wanna back off and/or plonk it in the middle of a gear change.

If you're looking at getting an edit tune down the track, I've heard that they also re-program your transmission to give more precise gear changes. And the tune will also give you approximately 30 rwkw extra! I'm looking at getting a MAF tune late this year...

ps: How bout some pix of your car with the new wheels? ;)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I just had a thought - a crude way to see if your car is under-performing or not.

Holden states for a VY SS 0-100kmh of 5.82 secs and 400m in 13.97 secs.

I would use the stopwatch in the trip computer and just test how long it takes you to get to 100kmh. Or, using the odometer, mark out 400m on a deserted road, and time yourself doing the 1/4 mile.

Those times would be for manual though. I'd say the auto times are more like 6.0 seconds and 14.2 seconds respectively.

Anyway, just a thought - I think I might try that myself!! :yeah:

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
I got my Manual VY Executive from 0 - 100km/h in about 6.5 Seconds.
using the stopwatch in the dash control panel :yeah:

Makes it hard trying to change gears etc, with starting and stopping a stopwatch. need someone to do it for me. :(

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
holdensupporter2005 said:
I got my Manual VY Executive from 0 - 100km/h in about 6.5 Seconds.
using the stopwatch in the dash control panel :yeah:

Makes it hard trying to change gears etc, with starting and stopping a stopwatch. need someone to do it for me. :(

Yeah? 6.5 seconds? That seems like really good going for a V6! I wonder what Holden claims they can do...

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just found some figures:

"Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 9.0 seconds (V6) ; Standing 400 metres 16.1 seconds (V6)"

http://www.southgate.com.au/history.htm

Any work done to your Exec? Something doesn't seem right...

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
yeh my auto was bugging the crap outa me for a while. just go and see someone that has the software to change when the gear's shift. also get them to have a play with the torque converter setting's too. change's in there make it feel a lot better to drive especially on an incline.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Get the tune done.

I had my tune done, and turned the gutless SS into a nice car to drive. They can change the gearshifts in the auto too, to make it more purposefull and not so sluggish. The best $500 you will spend on the car.

Oztrack did my tune, highly reccomended.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp