Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Autobarn sale

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Olive oil tastes better
@losh1971 the 15w/40 oil was made for cold climates, would suit older engine and noisy valvetrains

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In my higher mileage older cars I have been running 20W50...One that has done over 400,000 K I occasionally use a 20W60....

But the majority of the time I'm using Valvoline 20W50 with the older cars

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was using 20/50 20/60 but had all new crank bearings so switched to 15/40 as it's comes on better priced sales more often

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I always thought the oil viscosity was, in a simplistic sense, dependant on the bearing clearances designed into the engine and the engines cooling requirements (shared with the coolant system).

Going to thicker oil may increase oil pressure but reduce oil flow which impacts the oils cooling ability. Cooling is a big part of what oil does... Going to a thiner oil can reduce oil pressure but increase flow rate improving oil cooling ability but compromisi g other aspects of what is needed...

I‘d say it’s always better to stick with the manufacturers recommendations unless there is a specific need to change viscosity. Usually in such cases, the owners manual will list different viscosities for different climatic temperature rages. These days such tables seem to have been engineered out of the owner manuals, either via great modern oil tech or through a designed obsolescence though I suspect i5 more the former than the later.

Older cars, yes the manufacturers fiddled with different oil viscosity for winter and summer driving but that was a long long time ago... and those engines weren’t as highly stressed as today’s modern engines. These days, best to stick to manufacturer recommendations...

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: