Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic Doors Locking

ricko7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I have had it happen a couple of times before but always had the key with me. When i shut the drivers door all locks engage.
This morning we had a frost so I opened the drivers door, started the motor and the demisted to clear the screen. When I closed the door all the locks engaged and I was stuck with the car locked up and the motor idling away and the heater fan clearing the windscreen. Has anyone had this problem?

So surprised that no others have this happen.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have you got an after market key head?
Some of those have a trigger happy button.

ricko7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Have you got an after market key head?
Some of those have a trigger happy button.
Thanks for the reply, but no original key. Only thing that I did that was not done before I was at an accident scene on Sunday and I put my hazard lights on. Dont know if this is of any use.
Cheers Rick.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I vaguely remember that, somewhere in the preferences menu on the dash, one can specify if the doors lock immediately after closing. You can also lock all doors simultaneously by pushing down the driver's door lock, likewise unlock all doors by pulling this up.

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I have this happen frequently and I'm certain it is weather related- only happens when its humid after lots of rain.

My running theory is that the humidity affects the lock actuator in the driver's door somehow so that it doesn't properly slide up fully. Then when you go to close it since it's half pressed down already, it locks all the doors.

Been meaning to take it apart and look at the actuator but have just been putting up with it for the time being

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I have this happen frequently and I'm certain it is weather related- only happens when its humid after lots of rain.

My running theory is that the humidity affects the lock actuator in the driver's door somehow so that it doesn't properly slide up fully. Then when you go to close it since it's half pressed down already, it locks all the doors.

Been meaning to take it apart and look at the actuator but have just been putting up with it for the time being

It is more likely to be the actuator that requires replacement.
The door is very well sealed from the ingress of rain, unless at some stage, somewhere unknown to you the door seal and/or window ledge seals have been compromised. A tiny squirt of silicone lubrican may free up the actuator knob, especially if dirt or whatnot has worked its way in there. If it persists, the actuator is suspect.

Gozzybogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have had it happen a couple of times before but always had the key with me. When i shut the drivers door all locks engage.
This morning we had a frost so I opened the drivers door, started the motor and the demisted to clear the screen. When I closed the door all the locks engaged and I was stuck with the car locked up and the motor idling away and the heater fan clearing the windscreen. Has anyone had this problem?

So surprised that no others have this happen.
I feel ya pain similar situation but at a car wash...

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have had the same problem after working on the door locks due to moisture.

I pulled the drivers door trim and sprayed the lock rod and another shaft, both were rusty, with silicone spray, and after I put them back together, the doors locked after I shut the drivers door, but I put it down to activating the locks too many times in order to get the silicone to work.

They are good now but of course it has not rained since.