Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic shifter light bulb

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Hey guys
Ive looked everywhere in the forum for some instructions but i cant seem to find any .. if there is already some could a mod direct me?

Im trying to replace the light bulb for the automatic shifter as in the PRND123
i took of the plastic around it including the powerwindows thing but i cant see under the shifter cover thing
This thing http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/111230/461r1/924188j_18.jpeg

does it just pull off ???

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I think if you look underneath you can see where the bulb holder adapt's into the housing

Then you just turn it and it pull's out, then you can replace the globe, Thats how i did it. It is a bit fiddley but very doable

You do need to pull the surround off, the part that goes around the shifter and power window switch.

You can also unclip the whole thing and lift it up but i found that was unnecessary.

Thats how i did it anyway, Im sure there is another way but i got the job done doing what i did

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Oh sweet that worked I cant find out what kind of bulb it is though? Do you remember what it was? I am also needing to replace the rear centre brake light globe which is alos a wedge bulb but not sure what size it is Help would be appreciated :)

I think if you look underneath you can see where the bulb holder adapt's into the housing

Then you just turn it and it pull's out, then you can replace the globe, Thats how i did it. It is a bit fiddley but very doable

You do need to pull the surround off, the part that goes around the shifter and power window switch.

You can also unclip the whole thing and lift it up but i found that was unnecessary.

Thats how i did it anyway, Im sure there is another way but i got the job done doing what i did

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
T10 wedge for the shifter, Get a LED one, Look much better!

And i beleve it's a T15 wedge for rear shelf brake light.

Sharessa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Series 2

We're just trying to figure out how to do this from scratch. Do you have step by step instructions on how to remove the outer casing etc, to get to the bulbs?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
EASY WAY PULL DOWN FUSE COVER, UNDER STERRING WHELL, LOOK TO THE LEFT OF THAT, AND YOU SHOULD SEE 2 SCREWS WHICH HOLDS THAT PANEL ON, UNDO THEM, PANEL WILL COME OFF, AND THEN YOU CAN GET TO THE BULB. GOOOD LUCK GETTING IT OUT I CANT GET MINE OUT I HAVE TRIED 3--4 TIMES LOL SORRY THIS FOR A VZ LOL

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
An 'Easy way to do it' and yet, in 3-4 attempts you haven't been successful compared to the regular way? Are you a taxi driver with a short cut?!

But yes, it's easy to still remove the top console shifter cover plate, to access the retainer clip under the handbrake handle that removes the side panel. Super easy then, twist out the shifter lamp holder, and it's a T5 wedge globe, not a T10 as mentioned elsewhere.

Last edited: