Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

automatic tranmission

n1tr0us

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR acclaim
Hey guys just a qeustion, i recently bought a auto service kit for my vr commo and i think i mite have bought the rong oil. I was reading the manuel and it said use dextron III, the transmission fluid i got is Valvoline ATF automatic transmission fluid TYPE D is there a big diffrence?

also i bourght a 5 letre container will this be enough to replace all transmission fluid? im planning on draining the torque convertor to by diconnecting the hose at the bottom of the radiator and letting the car idle until it stops pumping. This wont effect the transmission at all will it?

Thanx

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Type D is for older Borg Warner boxes fitted to old Jags and Fords etc. It is different to Dexron111 and I wouldn't be using it at all as it will affect your shift quality and you may find some of the additives in type D do not mix with the old Dexron111 you have in your box now. Take it back where you bought it from and if it is still unopened they should do a straight swap.
By the way, I'm pretty sure the drain procedure you outline will not drain the torque convertor - the trans oil pump picks up the oil from the oil pan and when thats empty it will be pumping air. You cannot drain the oil from the torque convertor except by flushing new oil thru it - and this needs to have about 8 to 10 litres of new oil pumped thru to make sure the old oil has been replaced. As you have a service kit you will be dropping the sump anyway. Measure the amount of oil you drain so you have a fair idea of how much to put back in. Good Luck.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
if i were u chief, id be paying some1 to service the auto for u
dexron III is the correct fluid for a vr and no, letting the pump run dry on oil isnt good
have it professionally flushed if your in doubt
5L will be ok for a service refil (drop the pan, change the filter etc) but will need around 10-11L if your gonna do a full fluid flush

n1tr0us

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR acclaim
ohh ok thnax, yeah ill get 10 letres of dextron III, what would be the correct method to flush the system? pull the sump of, change the filter replace gasket refit sump then fill it up and after that drop the pan again, drain the fluid then refill it again

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you want to flush your oil because of contamination then you will need to drop the pan, dump the oil, instal new filter and gasket, bolt pan up, fill with fresh oil (same quantity as you dumped), run car for a few hours or days - just normal driving, then remove pan, dump oil and refil with same quantity of new oil. This way you will still have some dirty oil left (25%) but any metal or clutch material contamination should have been removed.
The method using the cooler pipe is open to argument - some says its stupid and others say its OK. When the dealers do a full flush I think they squirt oil in thru where the filter fits and this forces new oil thru the oilways/valves and convertor....but I'm not sure where it then exits - maybe they take a cooler hose off???
I'm middle of the road on this argument - I really don't thing running the trans dry for a second or two will harm it as there is still a film of oil left, but I'm still not sure. I'd flip a coin. Good Luck.

n1tr0us

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR acclaim
ok yeah thanx buddy, think ill do it that way. thing id be worried about is dirtying the new filter. If theres still contaminants in the little bit of oil that was left in the convertor it would get into the new filter and defeat the perpose of changing it, Filters arent really expensive anyway ill just replace it again in a week or two and maybe do the oil one last time.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
When i did my auto trans fluid on my VR II, i used a service kit i got from repco. It came with a cork style gasket for the pan, I fitted it but after the 1st drive it was pissing out auto trans full on.... I ended up having to get a genuine Holden Pan gasket, instead of it being cork style its just like a normal card type gasket.

It seems the pan has like a raised edge all the way around it, this edge sliced through the cork gasket and it leaked really bad. Ive had the card type gasket on for like 10mths without a drama....

Mite be something to be aware of.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
leaking cork gaskets are only a problem if you overtighten them... ive been using them for 3 years and never had a problem
then again, ive always done my trans pan bolts up with a tension wrench