Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission band adjustments please help anyone

Lucien

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 holden v8 hsv commodore
How to adjust automatic transmission bands on my 2002 vx hsv holden commodore please help anyone

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Not something you should be messing with anyway unless you really know what you are doing.

Lucien

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 holden v8 hsv commodore
I realise that mate and though im pretty confident with my vehicle and maintenance of it over all im just a little baffled as to adjusting the automatic transmission band all and all mate can you please be of better use to my request id be ever so greatfull thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Adjusting bands pretty much means completely tearing down the transmission it's not something you can just "do/adjust", and it's a fair bit more involved than run of the mill regular maintenance. At least it is for a 4l60e.

Better question would be why do you think they need adjusting?

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The older type transmissions had adjustable bands but not anymore. You can't really adjust anything, if slipping in gears it's more than likely worn clutches or possibly low on fluid. As a matter of fact mine recently started slipping in overdrive when going about 100 on the freeway and today it started slipping in 3rd. I have it booked in on Monday to find out the problem. I'm expecting it to need an overhaul.
I am also pretty competent when it comes to doing most of the work on my car but when it comes to the transmission, changing the fluid and filter is as far as I will go.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
old powerglides and traumatics you needed to adjust bands as part of service
this doesnt apply to newer style transmissions

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
To adjust the band I believe you need to fit shims on the servo where the band pin locates. I'm no expert though so can't tell you how to measure/set it.

If you know how to fit a Corvette 2nd gear servo than you should be able to shim the band. I'd recommend posting the question on the AV8 forum as one of the users there is a transmission guru and should be able to provide much better guidance.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
The entire transmission has to come on and taken to a professional.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
How to adjust automatic transmission bands on my 2002 vx hsv holden commodore please help anyone

It might be more useful (in other words you may get more relevant replies) if you detail the specific symptoms of your problem with the trans rather than asking a question about what may (or may not be) the solution to the problem.