Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic Transmission fluid leak

Domaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Hi all!
I have trans fluid leak coming from a hose where the trans cooler tube connects to the radiator. There are two hoses (top and bottom LHS when sitting in car). These hoses are clamped to steel tubing with a hose clamp. Is this normal or should it be a different type of connection? I was told by a friend the connection should have a thread on one end and a male connector on the other, but he wasn't sure. Im thinking it's leaking due to the wrong method of connection.

Please help.

xitekamelion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs S2 Ecotec Equipe
The series 1 vs has the push on clamp type conectors, the series 2 has the screw on type. try cutting back some of the hose and re-clamp it with the fresh ruber hose, If the leak is coming from the stub on the radiator due to a crack then you may need to replace the radiator.
Hope this helps

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
In addition to what xitekamelion said, the hoses are often 'damp' but not necessarily 'leaking', and this would be considered acceptable by most mechanics.

If you're still having trouble, degrease it up, go around the block, take a look and come back and tell us exactly where she's leaking from. :)

Domaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
The leak is coming from the end of the hose, where it meets the steel tubing from the transmission, after the hose clamp. It is clearly seen from underneath the vehicle. The hoses are "damp" but I am leaking approx. 50ml of fluid per day. Are the push on clamps as described by xitekamelion the same as ordinary hose clamps used for radiator water hose fittings? Cos thats what are being used at the moment.

xitekamelion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs S2 Ecotec Equipe
Hi Domaz. I can only assume that they are the same as other hoses, though as i have a series 2 i cant confirm 100%. As camstatic sugested try degreasing the area, including the hose , radiator and engine then take it for a drive. when u say its loosing 50ml per day,is that what you assume is on the floor or is that what you have to top up the trans with?
I have a leaking power steering pump which drips from the back of the pump down to the oil filter then onto the transmision lines, the fluid runs to the lowest point of the hoses before dripping to the ground,(just behind the radiator) being red in colour is assumed it was trans fluid at first till i degreased it and traced back the leak.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Cooler lines leak on most cars after a few years. It's simple replace the short piece of hose on both lines and replace with new clamps. Transmission fluid levels need to be spot on all the time as the last thing you wish to do is go low on trans oil and damage the box when it starts slipping and flaring.

cheers

Domaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Thanks everyone for their input. I have changed the hoses and clamps and all is sweet. It appears the people who installed the motor used the same hoses and clamps from the previous car it was in!

The magic tool I had to invest in was a very long flat head screwdriver to reach the clamps near the bottom of the radiator.

Cheers