Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission shift program

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
I paid around $450 for a trans tune, and have found that in normal drive mode it'll hold gears longer, and in sport mode is a lot more willing to drop gears earlier and firmer than it did before the tune.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I paid $400 when I had my Calais (6L80E). Had the auto done at a different place to the tune. Needed a slight tweak to suit me; free. With my HSV the box (6L90E) and tune were done at the same time as other stuff. Makes it a much nicer drive.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Just interested in what (specifically) you had tuned on the 6L90e. One of my bug bears is that the trans always starts off in second gear (presumably as a fuel economy measure) unless you manually change it to start in first gear.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
I enquired last year about a gearbox tune with oztrack and street quick performance. Both recommended to do the engine ecu along with the trans as they're both interconnected. Didn't think it was possible to just do one but guess it is.

Would be good to have 'performance mode' actived at the flick of a button without having to provoke the parameters for it to switch on

My current oztrack tune blips / rev matches on downshifts when manually shifting . Can't say I remember it doing so before the tune/s. Shifts are quick / firm when you step on it a with a sharp crack out the exhaust reminding me of a golf or a45 amg. I Didn't think this was normal but Steve didn't comment that this a problem when I pointed it out. Anyone else notice this with bolt ons / tune ?

To the OP - I hadn't noticed any difference in shifting between the MY16 and 17 as I drove back to back with family members. Engine tune on the 17 better though with a little more oomph down low to mid

Mike

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Both tuners mentioned are EFIlive guys, and can flash your trans and engine separately, although it doesn’t make sense to do that independently. The advantage is incremental updating and focus on the one controller at a a time.
The reason you want to do both at the same time is because the operational behaviour of the trans relies on correct torque reporting (from the ECU) to the trans controller.
Physically dealing with torque is the trans controller, modulating torque dumps from the convertor and sometimes commanding input shaft speed from the ECU, clutch pre-fill, apply and release speeds and pressure. So torque management is largely trans controller but still a two way street to the ECU.
I think HP Tuners also recently split its tune files into ECU and TCM following EFIlive also, whereas was part of one “PCM tune” previously.

Last edited:

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
I enquired last year about a gearbox tune with oztrack and street quick performance. Both recommended to do the engine ecu along with the trans as they're both interconnected. Didn't think it was possible to just do one but guess it is.

Would be good to have 'performance mode' actived at the flick of a button without having to provoke the parameters for it to switch on

My current oztrack tune blips / rev matches on downshifts when manually shifting . Can't say I remember it doing so before the tune/s. Shifts are quick / firm when you step on it a with a sharp crack out the exhaust reminding me of a golf or a45 amg. I Didn't think this was normal but Steve didn't comment that this a problem when I pointed it out. Anyone else notice this with bolt ons / tune ?

To the OP - I hadn't noticed any difference in shifting between the MY16 and 17 as I drove back to back with family members. Engine tune on the 17 better though with a little more oomph down low to mid

Mike

Pretty sure if you press the T/C button twice quickly it will go into Performance Mode.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Pretty sure if you press the T/C button twice quickly it will go into Performance Mode.

I thought all that did was to stiffen up the steering wheel and remove some of the driver nannies? Interested to know if this isn't the case.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Yes correct, competitive mode a feature of the redline and not the ss/ssv.
'performance shift activated' keeps rpm over around 3500 from Memory / blips on downshifts

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8

Mike
Is this a 'seat of the pants' feeling you had regarding the MY17 engine tune? My understanding is that the tune for all LS3 VFII's was locked in a Euro5 compliant and consistent throughout the life of the model....october15-october17.....maybe the car you drove was just one of the better ones?