Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission shift program

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Just interested in what (specifically) you had tuned on the 6L90e. One of my bug bears is that the trans always starts off in second gear (presumably as a fuel economy measure) unless you manually change it to start in first gear.

I never asked for it to be changed to start in 1st. I doubt I would ever use 1st even at the drags. Driven with light throttle not much different but the sharpness of the upshift increases with throttle. It isn't neck snapping but certainly noticeable. I think the shift points in D have been moved slighyly higher as well.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Is this a 'seat of the pants' feeling you had regarding the MY17 engine tune? My understanding is that the tune for all LS3 VFII's was locked in a Euro5 compliant and consistent throughout the life of the model....october15-october17.....maybe the car you drove was just one of the better ones?

Two family members have MY17's which I've driven back to back numerous times when mine had the stock tune. Both Felt more responsive down low to mid from yes, only 'seat of the pants' but similar top end. I thought maybe mine was a dud until this thread was started 2 months later. See post 25 from Paulie.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/2016-vs-2017-redline-differences.268259/page-2

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
received_10156139984220409.jpeg
My 2017 vf2 Redline, has a marked difference between drive and sport modes, when I am driving virtually anywhere I have it in sport as general responsiveness is much quicker, whereas in Drive I find the tune relies on the torque available in one or 2 gears above what I might need. However, when I get all the voodoo right and say the magic words and performance mode gets activated, the trans selects the right gear nearly every time with no shuffling through or obvious kick down, then go, and the changing down while braking hard works a treat, kind of like using the paddles, but having the car do it for you. It certainly comes alive. On the twisty windy hilly roads between Canberra and Mudgee going the back way around Oberon ... It's a deadset delight to drive.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
View attachment 198773 My 2017 vf2 Redline, has a marked difference between drive and sport modes, when I am driving virtually anywhere I have it in sport as general responsiveness is much quicker, whereas in Drive I find the tune relies on the torque available in one or 2 gears above what I might need. However, when I get all the voodoo right and say the magic words and performance mode gets activated, the trans selects the right gear nearly every time with no shuffling through or obvious kick down, then go, and the changing down while braking hard works a treat, kind of like using the paddles, but having the car do it for you. It certainly comes alive. On the twisty windy hilly roads between Canberra and Mudgee going the back way around Oberon ... It's a deadset delight to drive.

Totally agree with you.

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8
And there lies the problem.....We have to be driving extra hard for the "performance mode" to magically kick in....As soon as you back off a little, the gearbox goes back to very conservative and frustrating slow and non intuitive shifting....I have the Calais V LS3 so lack of steering mounted shift paddles magnifies the issue.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Ok, it seems what people are describing is when in Sport mode and getting up it, the trans mood changes.
This is not a dial / knob / button sequence, right?

Correct. This was developed for the Caprice Cop Car. US law enforcement wanted the car ready to jump into action without pressing buttons, tapping paddles etc. Performance Shift Mode is meant to predict and be in the right gear, blip downshift, hold gears longer etc when in pursuit.

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8
Interesting....did not realise the feature was developed for the US cop car program. Yes, when going for it in sport shift mode, you will see a message light up on screen between the dials saying something like "performance mode active" or similar.....I wish it was possible to keep it in this mode.....

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Interesting....did not realise the feature was developed for the US cop car program. Yes, when going for it in sport shift mode, you will see a message light up on screen between the dials saying something like "performance mode active" or similar.....I wish it was possible to keep it in this mode.....
Gday mate, I recall seeing a techno performance video on you tube where they were advertising fitting paddle shift to Holden's that don't come standard with them as part of one of their builds. .. In case you are interested .