Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic VR Stalling.

94VrCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Holden Commodore
hello, I have a 1994 VR Holden Commodore which i am having a few problems with at the moment.

At times when I first start my car it stalls and I have to have my foot on the accelerator for it to turn over, and at lights the revs sometimes drop to a point where the car stalls.

I have asked a few friends who know more about Commodores and I have been told it's either my sensors or coil pack and someone has said my Torque Converter. I have no issues with transmission or anything else other than that.

Open to all comments and thank you!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Foot on throttle to start says it maybe the fuel regulator.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel system?
Plugs are probably also dirty.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
On a car this old, it could be anything - When was it last serviced? Is there other symptoms- does it drive ok, rev ok?
To put it simply, the computer will always try to achieve a correct idle speed, and for some reason that isn't occurring. Coil pack failure would cause rough running under load, torque convertor unlikely to have any effect, so likely rule those two out if it drives fine apart from its idle. Items that would affect it are most commonly the IAC valve in the throttle body - if your throttle body is filthy and this is all blocked, then expect idle issues- that's where I would start. You can clean with throttle body cleaner, or remove the IAC itself and clean it. from there on, you could have fuel pressure problems, injector problems, ECU problems, sensor problems...sky is the limit.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Vac leaks will cause idle fluctuations, faulty CAS will cause stalling , as above there are literally so many things we need more info...