Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Autometer Air Fuel gauge faulty?

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
Hey all, fitted my Autometer air fuel ratio gauge into my VT V6 auto tonight, and encountered a problem of numerous LED's lighting up at once. Has anyone come across this before?

It's the same when the engine is stopped as well as running.

I've wired up the oxy sensor wire to pin D15 (violet) according to here -> http://memcals.com/pdf/VTV6 Auto Wiring Diagram.pdf and pos/neg are supplied from the cig lighter.

The gauge is second hand, and was working when it came out of my mate's car as well.. I did test it outside the car and it worked ok (went straight to the richest green LED), then installed and now have this problem.

Has anyone here encountered this?

Cheers,
Spudley.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
when you tested it out of the car did you have the o2 sensor wire connected with just the positive and negative? when i had one in my vs it did the same thing wher one led would be bright and a couple of the ones around that one were a little dull.

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
nope, I had all 3 wires connected outside the car and was working.
can anyone confirm if the D15 (purple) wire is the correct wire to hook it up to, in the VT V6 auto? (link above for pinout)

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
ALL the connections have to be DEAD clean and connected the abosulte best you can. Must use solder. The guage is very sensitive and really only 1 LED should be lit at one time.

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
thanks mate. didn't have the soldering iron at home when i did it, but will fix that up and see what happens :)

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
ok i've soldered the joints and I'll post a vid soon of what's happening..
I can see there's one dead LED in the orange area but that doesn't bother me, I just wanna make sure it's wired correct for when I eventually replace it.

can anyone actually confirm if i'm even connecting to the right wire at the ecu?

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Thats pretty good. Thats about how they look, same as mine. I would still use solder and use a really good earth.

Dunno why that LED isnt working though. Is it new?

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
nah not new, got it from my mates car when he parted out. it was working when we removed it but it's been kicking about for about a year so i'm not surprised it has a damaged led...

it's more that when cruising at under 2k rpm, it just like bounces from red to green and not sure if it's supposed to do that. under hard acceleration it goes to the rich end, and to lean upon backoff, but any other time it just bounces.

cheers.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sounds normal. Closed loop - steady cruise and light load - the A:F mixture oscillates either side of stoichiometric, accel. goes rich, decel fuel cuts off or at least leans out.