Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automotive Multimeters

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i got one of those. they're good. i've used it to test a few things like backprobing the ECU for rpm (you have to do a bit of maths to convert it). mine has some kind of thermocouple to measure temperature as well, tho i've never used that).

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
i am a forklift mechanic and have this multi meter, as part of my supplied van stock. I personal think it is crap. I get more use out of my fluke clamp meter. The didode tester is not sensitive enough, the tacho doesn't work( doesn't seem to pick up coil negative out of thick 8mm or greater leads), and doesn't have mf (capacitor) testing. It has been back to original supplier twice and replace once over 24 months, i have also replaced the original leads once. i always keep it in its case and in bubble wrap and are very carefull using it. This is only my opinion, but if u are intending to use it as a tachco, and is main reason for buying, dont bother!!!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
genIIIbandit said:
i am a forklift mechanic and have this multi meter, as part of my supplied van stock. I personal think it is crap. I get more use out of my fluke clamp meter. The didode tester is not sensitive enough, the tacho doesn't work( doesn't seem to pick up coil negative out of thick 8mm or greater leads), and doesn't have mf (capacitor) testing. It has been back to original supplier twice and replace once over 24 months, i have also replaced the original leads once. i always keep it in its case and in bubble wrap and are very carefull using it. This is only my opinion, but if u are intending to use it as a tachco, and is main reason for buying, dont bother!!!

no i wasnt looking at that particular one i was just useing it as an example. do you recomend the fluke ones

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
fluke are an excellent multimeter, but you get what u pay 4(top of the range and price to go with it). Fluke used to do an automotive multimeter, but have now replaced it with a general use multimeter, depends what u want to do with it?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
fluke suck ass
im a electrician, i got 2 fluke multi meters, 1 is a tong tester, and the other is a multi meter, with diode test, resistance, Ma function, and the good old temp and auto ranging for ac/dc aplications. both of them have been back to fluke 2 times each for not working.

the best one i have used so far to this date is a koyratsu meter, payed a heap of cash for it, and it does everything i need and then some. only thing it doesnt do is tell you the time, it cost $999.95 and is worth every red cent in my mind. do the research, and get a meter that you actualy will use, no point in spending money on something that does everything execpt for what you want

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
as a mechanic, i dont have issues with fluke, i think they kick arse. As u said garth why bother spending $999.95 if all ya gunna do is check battery voltage and the odd contenuity test, fluke are good in my opinion.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i thought a fluke was worth more than $999.95??