Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Avon bike race tyres

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Rang Suzuki which are about the best bike shop in the North of the state and they have told me Avon's don't do a 90/90/18 in a race compound and don't do a 120/80/18 rear either, only a 110, which won't really suit a 2.75" rim. Also RD 400's really need a 90/90 on the front to steer properly. Have run into this issue before with Avon Aust a few years back. Yet the States have both sizes in race compound but seems impossible to have them shipped outside the US unless you have it redirected through someone who lives in the US.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
even tried to sell me a stupid chain with a link clip, lucky I knew what I was talking about or I would be dead.
I use a link clip and never had an issue I have 57RWHP. The trick to using a clip is putting some RTV on the clip so it can't fly off.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I have the clip style on all of my bikes and always have. Never a drama, plus dirt bikes are much harder on chains than a road bike. However the clips do wear down over time and after quite a few hours they need replacing. They’re a great convenience.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I have the clip style on all of my bikes and always have. Never a drama, plus dirt bikes are much harder on chains than a road bike. However the clips do wear down over time and after quite a few hours they need replacing. They’re a great convenience.
Are you doing speeds of 240km/h over long distance and up to 300km/h at times, no I would not have a clip, the original chains do not have them and I wanted an original chain but could not get on so the next chain is a little smaller and that's fine as all you do is make the pin just like all the rest, it's not that hard to do correctly but the other chain was a lot bigger, something you would use on a chaffcutter, no I would not tolerate that crap.

Dirt bike chain only gets a lot of crap splashed over it, seen many brake due to lack of maintaining such.

I have never seen a clip on a new fast road bike in my life.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
AM18 rear and AM26 front $640 a pair in Australia. Definitely need to try to import my own if I want Avon's. Around $450 for a pair on Bike Bandit. Dunlop GP's are probably $400 for a pair and are a pretty decent tyre. Is there anything else you would recommend Deuce?
Nah the TT is the classic tyre i know of (or is the metz laser me33 a kind of classic crossover)
Not really my expertise.
This is more me (well, this actually is me)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I need race compound for my RD 400. I think i need AM22 rear and AM18 front.
I had a quick look of nz stock of am18 am25 and i think am26 or something.
Basically a few in stock, but most are indent. I didn't check specific sizes though. Not sure who are using what on what and in what classes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably just get TT 900GP's they worked quite well was wanting to get the best but it's looking just too hard.

Last edited: