Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Axel fix

Which would be the best reliable long term fix

• Replace the entire diff with a 2nd hand one or a reconditioned one

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • just replace the axel, bearings and rotors

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • get it professionaly straightened

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Win the lotto and get a VE ( hahaha. yeah right )

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well thats gone and done it.
After my bingle a while back ( a search in the VS section for Axel will eventually lead to my story ( getting my car on two wheels trying to avoid an idiot ) ) my diff has just chewed out my brand new rear left pads and rotor. had them fitted only recently, today drove home and the all too familiar grinding noise appeared as i stopped for the lights, parked up, hopped out and sure enough my pad has been eaten to the metal after no more than 2000km's i knew my diff was a touch wonky but i didnt think it would eat a pad that fast.

so i have some options,
get a 2nd hand diff, check it and bolt that on
just get a left axel, and fit that in
get the axel straightened ( ~$300 quoted when i had my bingle ) or DIY it.
or i could just win lotto and buy a VE :p

though looking at the options i figure getting just a good axel and putting that in is the cheapest option but who know how long it'll last.
a second hand or better still, a recondition diff is the most appealing, warranty and what not
im not keen on having the axel striaghtened, i get the feeling it involves either heating or bending and i would consider that a weak point.
and to quote billy connoly; " Because you've got bugger all chance of winning the lottery " so the VE option is a big yeah right.

anyone have any reccemendations?

-edit-

This is a 1996 VS Exec, Non ABS, Open diff, Live axel.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
the rear left has a nice tiny bend thanks to be putting my car in two wheels spinnign out into a kerb ^_^

but a 2nd hand diff seems the ticket. now for the price :(

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
sounds like you have a seized caliper, colapsed flexible hose, etc. Is it hard to spin one rear wheel compared to the other (test conditions:-both rear wheels off ground, trans in N, Handbrake off)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
nah the left wheel has taken 50% of my car weight for 3seconds 9months ago after i hit a curb. there is a definite bend. the scuff marks on the rotor arent consistent its ....well... it sounds like a train at 60ish " scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff " i feared i might not of put the brakes in right so im checking that tomorrow ( popping the wheel and caliper off, inspecting and re-seating the pads but chances are they're just shot to hell. )

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
go out an score a s/h diff with an lsd:w00t: then that will fix ya probel :thumbsup: