Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Axle tramp/Wheel hop???

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
This is technical, it's not a matter of making it stiffer

Its resident frequency that causes the problem, and you need to change that witch can be difficult

Think of the Tacoma bridge it is a similar type of issue

Some get it and some don't, some times changing bits of suspension or bushes will change it and some times it won't

I changed to pedders XA coil overs put all nolathane bushes and I strengthened cradle extensively put new rear axels and they all changed the way it did it but it still tramped at times

G force level 3 rear axels have solved this by making one axel thicker then the other witch changes its resident frequency and fixing the problem

It's mostly a manual car with IRS that has this problem and all have different theories on what fixes it as even the same Model car will be fixed in different ways I.E suspension or bushes or harrop diff mount or what not

Sadly its a matter of changing thing till it stops but can be costly and still have the problem

Tyres have a big affect as well

Myn stoped after rebuilding diff and changing to 3.9 gears but I had my diff rebuilt years ago with factory gears when I changed all bushes and suspension and it didn't stop it back then

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Also the diff mount nolthane insert and cradle mounts and the extra wedge all in nolathane and camber kits in nolathane didn't stop myn from trampin

Myn only stoped when I recently put new gears in the diff but all will have different things that make it stop

It can be Very frustrating to solve

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It's actually 'Resonance', or 'mechanical resonance'. Not resident.

I can't see how this refers to the OP's problem.
How can wheel hop be associated with oscillation and resonance?
It's 2 totally different things.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The OP is from 2009......

The thread dig is about a VE which is totally different......

Wheel hop is generally caused when the suspension can't control the power or torque been applied through the drive train. Different suspension types have different cures but on a standard car, generally replacing worn suspension components fixes the issue (shocks and bushes). If you have increased the amount of power/torque going through the drive train it becomes a different kettle of fish.