Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Axle tramp/Wheel hop???

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Hey all,

I've got a problem where if I plant it off the line, or if the wheels get into a situation where they'd normally wheelspin instead of grip, the back wheels bounce off the ground instead. I've replaced all the springs and shocks also done the diff cradle bushes. Is this something simple or the start of something worse?

It's a 94 VR, IRS and LSD.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Did you check if the diff cradle is cracked - this is not uncommon.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Nah mate, no cracks that I can see from underneath. Is there any particular spot I should be checking? Another point to note is if I leave slowly in 1st then plant the foot just as it jumps to 2nd (auto) and make it drop back to first the wheels spin freely. But if I stall it up for a launch, or take off in a situation where the wheels would spin it just hops/jumps violently in the rear end untill I either back off or it gains traction again.

I'm not a hoon, and I don't go around doin burnouts everywhere n ****, it's just something I've noticed taking off fast from a standstill and mostly in the wet when just trying to keep traction from a standing start.

Anyone else had/got this problem?

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
I dunno about stiff, the pedders springs are pretty soft. And monroe short stroke shocks. :s

Thanks for the input.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I had a clunking noise under takeoff, mechanic said it was a broken "rear engine mount" (transmission mount?). He showed me the old one and it was completely torn in half.

Worth a check.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Hmm. well camber is no where near what that pic showed. I do get a loud almost rubbing sound from the rear when doing a low speed full lock turn.

I'll get it up on the jacks on the weekend and have a good feel around. Cheers mate.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
I have been told its from the rubber mount that is on the diff cradle itself. U can get a new rubber form most auto joints, Eg: repco, auotbarn etc..

Mine was up **** creek on my old diff centre. New one is fine.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
I'm a bit of a mechanical noob mate, I'm slowly learning ;) But where abouts is this rubber you speak of? Ontop of the diff? Is it hard to change over?