Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[b][/b] locate & change manual trans fluid vs

need new gearbox or fixable?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mathew_mg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive S2
Hey just needed some advice on checking and possibly refilling my manual vs commodore v6 .. as at the moment i dare not use 3rd gear for it is making i crunching noise . im taking a wiled stab in the dark and kinda hoping its my trans fluid and that i dont have to get a new gear box??
if u could help me out wit the steps from locating trans fluid access to filling it
thx guys

VS-S-PACK-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
hey mate, i highly doubt that changing the fluid will fix the gear from crunching, however if u r goin to change the oil, get under the car, go to the transmission, unbolt the bottom bolt on it, let it all drain out, clean the large amount of metal shavings off the plug that's magnetized as there will be heaps on there. put the plug in and there are two bolts on the side of the transmission, cant remember which one it was exactly, look for any signs on the bolt head that its had a socket or spanner taken too and fill it in there till it comes back out at u. job done.:)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it's just 3rd gear making a crunching sound it is likely to be the synchroniser ring gone on 3rd....you should be able to select 3rd if you 'double de-clutch' to go into 3rd...it's a bit slower but do-able. Check Google for how to 'double de-clutch' as you'll find instructions there rather than me try to explain. If it is a worn synchroniser, the only real fix is a gearbox overhaul. You may be able to improve the change slightly by adding some gearbox treatment which will thicken and stabilise the oil and possibly make the change to 3rd smoother.....but it won't last for ever.
Also, is your clutch OK.....selects reverse with no crunching?