Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BA xr6 turbo ute as a second car

chippe

Reaction score
Members Ride
automobile
hey guys,

can i get some opinions on buying a 04 model BA xr6 turbo ute.

Currently i own a 08 ford ranger (business & private use) 3ltr 4x4 turbo diesel, 32inch muds, lift, steel bar, weighing just under 3t loaded plus towing a 1.8t trailer, im finding even when i dont have the trailer attached, im only getting 350km to a tank.

Not to mention i cant see **** out the back due to toolboxes, racks, ride, height and tray size.... not the best thing to be taking the missus out for dinner in town in.

Anyway im looking for something that i can jump into on weekends, after work etc.

the BA's turbo's have always caught my eye, to be honest i'd be happy with something stock, as im not really into the engine mod side of things, but for a little more, i can get decent looking car with a bit of go.

2004 FORD FALCON UTE XR6 TURBO UTE SUPER CAB BA Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au 1247 1252 1282 4294966463 4294966104 752 391 412 898&PriceTo=412&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&__Qpb=true&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany

-What i would like to know with these mods is fuel economy up the ****? (even though id only be doing under 15,000km per year in it, its still something i need to consider)

-What are the auto's like? I'd prefer auto as a change from my ranger plus cruise control is a plus.

-And will these mods decrease the life of the engine conponents, even with the upgrades?

-How many k's are to much for the turbo's?

-Any other general comments? Price etc?

Insurance seems like a bitch at $2000 full comp for a 24yr old, seems like only just cars will look at insuring a turbo with a 24yr old behind the wheel.

Any advice would be appreciated

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
Sorry mate i dont mean to be rude or anything but have you read the name of this website? I dont think youll get the best help here

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Get a real car.

OT; There not bad

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I had a BA XR6 T ute as a work ute for one of my old jobs. Honestly they are a fantastic ute/car.

That kilometers on that one look pretty good. Fairly low for its age.

As far as fuel economy goes, its going to be dependent on how you drive it. Turbo's are pretty good if you're just cruising around. Give it the beans and it will drink.

Cant really comment on the gearbox. He said hes upgraded it but doesn't really give many specifics, id be asking him what hes done to the gearbox and what kind of power its been built to handle. That also goes for what you can expect from the engine as far as life expectancy goes he hasnt gone into to much detail about what exactly has been done. The Ford 6's have usually been pretty decent though so I doubt a slightly bigger turbo will worry it to much.

20 grand though... sounds a bit much. Probably get it down to around 17-18.

EDIT

Just had a quick look around on carsales, most of them seem to be going for close to the 19-20 range. Didnt realise they were still up around there.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
looks good. i would buy it. they make good work utes if you want a tub,

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Not sure the difference between BA and BF but. My mums BF is perfect.. the auto is awesome, It also can be used as a manual, or performance mode
Ive heard storys the stock turbo is bad and should get a after market.

20 grand for a BA turbo ute seems a bit much and close to 100k's on the clock..
Mums BF sedan had only 60k's and perfect, 1 owner.. and only 21 grand. though Its not a turbo but the BF inline 6's are pretty powerful, they have some up and go.. Theyd put the 5litre VT's to shame ;)

Its really upto you man..

chippe

Reaction score
Members Ride
automobile
thanks for the feedback, obviously i realise there would be the ford haters, but would i have got an honest answer on a ford forum?

I was hoping to get it for around $18,000.

I'll ask him for some more details and let you know how i go.

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Probably try get a BF which have the ZF six speed auto. BA still has the old 4 speed. Slightly better economy and acceleration with the 6 speed and much better gearbox in general.
I'd try to avoid any modded ones as they generally are driven by the enthusiast with a slightly heavier foot than your average driver. Also coming up to 100k there's probably a few things that will need replacing soon.