Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Back in the shop again.

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV -Redline, Herron White.
Ok so ill link my old post https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/cat-converter-replacement-09-sidi-calais-v.238091
Since i had the cat changed the car had been running fine.
Until Monday when i took of from the side of the road quite hard to get out in front of a car and 2 seconds later the engine light comes on
and then it goes into saftey mode.
i pull over and turn the car off, leave it for 20 seconds then start it up, light straight back on, i drive the 2 kms home, taking it easy and park the car.
i got picked up for work the next morning so i dont have to drive it, borrow a scan tool from a friend and check it when i got home.
i think there was 8 fault codes, 4 to do with misfires, 1 for fuel regulator sensor, 1 for fuel rail sensor, and cant remember the other 2. although i know it didnt come up with 02 sensor code (which is interesting)
took it into Peter Page Holden, Elizabeth in Adelaide on tuesday arvo to be looked at Thursday morning, or earlier if a spot comes up.
i explain to the guy when i drop it off that its blowing smoke and running like a piece of crap, exactly the same symptoms as last time, he writes it all down.
i ring them today at 11.10 to ask if anything had been found yet, get told by the girl that the guy working on the car had plugged it in and only got the 02 code,
so he reset the computer and took it for a test drive to see what it was doing.
He made it about 500m up the road and the car broke down, wouldnt start or something and now they were waiting to have it towed back to the garage.
So i ring again at 1.30 to find out more and the guy says the car has just been dropped off and he is about to look at it and will call me in 30 minutes to let me know something.
2.45 i ring them again and he says that he has been trying to get a minute to ring me and that they have found another problem they are trying to sort out.
i ask what that is and he says its misfiring and blowing smoke..........
i say well thats what the problem is that i put it in for, his response......oh, was it?
Now come on, surely someone working on a car will read the paperwork before they do anything.
Then to top it off try and tell me there was only 1 fault code.
Also if the fault code for the 02 sensor was coming up, why would you reset and test drive, if the computer says its something, fix that, otherwise why bother plugging it in in the first place.
Starting to think ive bought a lemon and that im taking it to a lemon holder dealership.

Another annoying thing is, i expressed my concern about the 02 sensor the last time and they assured me it had been checked and was fine,
And now approx 7 weeks later it may be faulty. surely it hasnt gone from being perfectly fine to cactus in that short space of time.
To top it off if it is the sensor, i may have not needed the new cat and just the unplugging the sensor from the old to new may have helped it and now its dirty again.
so i spent that money maybe for no reason.

Sorry about the long rant but really starting to get annoyed about it all.

Does anyone know anything about warrantys?

I got the 3 months with the car and got an extended 3 year warranty which i since found out doesnt cover stuff to do with the exhaust amongst other things.

I got the car between Xmas and New year, so approx 11 months ago.
Once the 3 months was up the Car yard i got it from didnt want to know about it.
Is there any thing i can do about them paying up for anything,

ive heard about some law that requires a business to provide a reasonable time of warranty even if they only say 3 months,
because to me, a car with only 92k on the clock and this many problems with the motor shouldnt be happening.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Is there anything else wrong with car or just this issue?

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the only issue as far as i know lol.

Oh, the front rotors need machining lol

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I had a problem with my duel fuel Berlin's and peter page we good fixed asap, did cost a bit though. Maybe get another dealer to look at it

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
What I've found from experience... When logging an o2 sensor code... Its not the o2 sensor. The sensor is just trying to do its job.

Were the misfires on 2,4 and 6 or 1, 3 and 5? The codes you mentioned earlier point to a fuel starvation problem on one or both banks.

The fact that it happened when you punched would suggest to me a fuel pressure reg problem. Keeping in mind I'm not a mechanic.

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
SO it turns out that one of the injectors is stuck open, quoted $800 + to fix, covered by warranty luckily. but i have to pay the $200 diagnoses fees, which ill happily pay. sadly i went to the holden dealership today to find out when the car will be done, they started it after lunch today after waiting for parts from Melbourne. I get there and the guy takes me into the workshop to look at what the mechanic is doing, apparently they didnt realise taking a fuel rail out of an SIDI motor was so hard and they think they have to remove some of the head to get it out which requires a call to the insurance company to make sure they are going to pay the extra time. apparently they only got given 2.5 hours to do the whole job. A bit worrying that a holden dealership doesnt know what is required to remove a fuel rail from a motor they have been selling for 5+ years.