Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Back into LS1 life

JasonMit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Auto
Having had a 10 year hiatus (marriage kids and work) I’m back on forums, a lot has changed on this site but nothing has changed with my stock LS1. So please help me....
VZ SSZ auto, time to take her for an upgrade. I’m in Adelaide so would appreciate any local suggestions.
Wanting head and cam package, big cam, only drive it about 6 Kms a day. Car has 150k on the clock but thinking with a big cam, heads, diff gears and stall what else should I consider? I’ve been out of the game for a while and back then it was putting hot dogs on to sound the part, but I’m sick of these SUVs pulling up next to me and struggling to get in front to merge (not going above the speed limit)
Help a brother out!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Budget?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
6km's?

considered just a tune?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
10k will get you a cam, otr, tune and decent exhaust.
I would use a brian tooley cam stage two. You'll need to do the springs and it would be a good idea to do rocker upgrade.
You can get the trunion kits or a full length bar, the full bar is better.
Get extractors and a dual 3" system.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
10k can also cover some boost options and supporting mods on a stock motor. Cam will net you some ponies, boost will net you those ponies plus torque and all across the range

JasonMit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Auto
10k can also cover some boost options and supporting mods on a stock motor. Cam will net you some ponies, boost will net you those ponies plus torque and all across the range
Hmmmm have thought of boost options but have decided the head and cam path, mainly because of the lumpy sound. But being an auto I understand that big cam means stall converted to reach the power and diff gears for that off the line grab, is that correct?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hmmmm have thought of boost options but have decided the head and cam path, mainly because of the lumpy sound. But being an auto I understand that big cam means stall converted to reach the power and diff gears for that off the grab, is that correct?

BTR stage two only needs a mild converter from my understanding I think some might even run it stock.
Heads are about 5k for a pair and you really need more cubic inches to make the upgrade worth it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hmmmm have thought of boost options but have decided the head and cam path, mainly because of the lumpy sound. But being an auto I understand that big cam means stall converted to reach the power and diff gears for that off the line grab, is that correct?

You really don't want a big cam on a stock motor. It'll give it a tiny window of power and leave it a pig to drive. Add on head work, it'll be a lot of expense for limited gains

I bought a WASP pd blower kit for mine before I put this maniac build together, came complete minus fuel pump and tune, weekend job fitting it, $8k total and I was driving, left cam and head packages that cost more in its dust. Only 320rwkw but it made 200rwkw from practically idle with torque for days

Last edited: