Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Backdoor Failure

mcdonasw

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 Executive V6
Hi everyone
Just bought a 91 Commodore yesterday but stupidly did not check the back door. Car is in great shape overall but now I realize the backdoor has been replaced and I can't get it open because the key I have for the car won't open it. I feel stupid for not checking the back door while I checked the engine and every feature inside the vehicle. I feel stupid but I wonder if I'm just missing something (is there some latch I'm just not seeing?) or do I need a key that fits the lock to get it open. I live in the Northern Beaches of Sydney and am just looking for some advice. Thanks a lot!

Sean

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Back door key? Do you mean the boot?

Should be able crawl through the centre section of the back seat and unlock it from the inside, also check the glove box for a boot release.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
wagon maybe?

thread title suggests something else.. HAHA

mcdonasw

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 Executive V6
Yeah thought the title would get some attention, ha. I'll check the glove box, haven't looked at that yet. Of course it's annoying that the guy didn't tell me but it's too late now, he's not answering his phone. Anyone know for sure if there is a release in the glove box? I'll check but my car is parked a good twenty minute walk. Doesn't seem like there is a release on the inside. Any other advice out there?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Sounds painful maybe see a doctor!
Should be a button in the glovebox or a pull handle next to the drivers seat if not just climb through the center of the rear seat and open it from inside.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Once it is open it is easy to recode the lock to match any key. You do need a selection of the tumblers (little brass pieces) though = wrecker, a replacement uncoded lock or any locksmith should have a collection of them.

An easy, perhaps short term, fix is to remove all of the tumblers then any VN-VZ key will open the lock.