Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BACKLASH/ DRIVE LINE PLAY VS V6 MANUAL wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive wagon, VE wagon
Hi, I need some help please.
My old VS makes a horrible clunking noise (when hot mostly) when rolling at walking speed. (Reverse worse)
I have done the unis front and rear not too long ago.
Bought a new centre bearing (not yet installed) (old centre bearing does not seem too bad) ,but when I got under and twisted the tail-shaft the play and noise seems to be coming from the REAR OF THE GEARBOX? There is some play in the old diff, but don't think it is too bad.
I have done most jobs, big and small on lots of cars, but this one has got me stumped?
All the threads seem to talk about Unis and Diffs, is there anything that can be done (bearings etc.) rear of the gearbox, without removing/ repairing the gearbox.
I've spent lots on this car, and I'd love to get this sorted.
Any help would be great, thanks.
PS, the manual just goes into the gearbox strip down procedure.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hi, I need some help please.
My old VS makes a horrible clunking noise (when hot mostly) when rolling at walking speed. (Reverse worse)
I have done the unis front and rear not too long ago.
Bought a new centre bearing (not yet installed) (old centre bearing does not seem too bad) ,but when I got under and twisted the tail-shaft the play and noise seems to be coming from the REAR OF THE GEARBOX? There is some play in the old diff, but don't think it is too bad.
I have done most jobs, big and small on lots of cars, but this one has got me stumped?
All the threads seem to talk about Unis and Diffs, is there anything that can be done (bearings etc.) rear of the gearbox, without removing/ repairing the gearbox.
I've spent lots on this car, and I'd love to get this sorted.
Any help would be great, thanks.
PS, the manual just goes into the gearbox strip down procedure.

Have you replaced engine mounts? mine had pretty bad backlash and replacing the mounts fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, haven't done mounts, but the play is between the gearbox and the tailshaft.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
Gearbox rear bearing (bushing?) or wear on the tailshaft bushing surface maybe
Possible (unlikely) spline wear between gbox output and tailshaft yoke?
gearbox mount?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
If its worse in reverse I'd say either the lash between crown wheel and pinion or the teeth on the crown wheel have worn through the case hardening and now they're hook shaped (giving that typical sound in reverse)

On a side note when I had the getrag in mine before I replaced it it had a very similar thing like an elyptical kind of crunching grinding sorta thing turned out to be I had no spigot bush of throw out bearing both were disintegrated and taking a joy ride in the bellhousing bouncing off the ring gear and pressure plate lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My old VS seemed to have a fair bit of backlash in the diff, however I think a fair amount of that was actually in the spider gears in the centre because it was a standard open diff so when you manipulate the drive shaft first you take out the back lash in the crown wheel/pinion and then the spider gears before you have taken up all the slack. With an LSD centre you don't get this because the cones don't slip until enough torque is applied which won't happen when moving things by hand.

As mentioned, if there is movement in the gearbox than it may have a worn bush in the gearbox extension housing.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Are you referring to when your easing the clutch out? I have had a v6 5spd and currently a vs v8 5spd and both suffer from a bit of shudder once if it's a hot day. I think it is/was the clutch and/or spigot bearing as it seems to happen once the clutch gets a bit old. I just load mine up a bit and it tends to go away, but a bit hard if your in a car park and trying to go slowly.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, but if it is a worn bush or bearing in the gearbox extension housing, is there anything I can do on the car , or will the gearbox have to come out for an overhaul?
This is starting to sound like a big expensive job. I was hoping to change a bearing or two and get back on the road

Reaction score
Members Ride
no I'm not bothered about a bit of shudder from the clutch, (though there is some, I know what you mean).
No, this noise/clunking is there when just rolling with clutch depressed. (worse backwards)
Also I did the clutch a while back, so don't think it would be worn out yet.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
If i remember correctly, its the removal of the tailshaft, speedo sensor, gearstick, selector mechanism (knock a split pin out) and a few bolts to get the extenion housing off. There may not be enough room to slide it back far enough (clear of the selector rod) while the box is in the car, unless you drop the gbox mount and lower it down with a jack.

BUT

I should think that it would be possible to change that bushing while its all still in the car. Youve got to have the right tools though. (split the bushing, fold it in and pull it out then knock a new one in with the right sized mandrel. and a new rear seal while your there too.
That way all they would have to remove is the tailshaft, then about 10 mins work with a hammer and some hammer-accessories. in a perfect world.

Dont take that as gospel though, Im not 100% on it, since my knowledge is on the T5, not the Getrag, if im wrong then someone who's actually done it before will come along and correct me.

Dont worry about the shudder. Everyone's does it. Its a commodore.

Last edited: