Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Backyard Spray Job on VN commodore (Black) need info

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
I have a Black VN commodore the paint is very sad and i am going to redo it in my shed.
I have had Mixed opinions from Local Spray Painters and i want to know the most easyest
and affective way to go about doing a Black 2pac paintjob on my car.

I know the legal terms and condition about 2pac aswell i just want more of a grasp on mixtures
and wether or not to use a clear coat or just straight off the gun.

One Spraypainting place said if you are going black get a flat black and clear it, but price will be double than the other option and thats straight off the gun with 2pac and no clearcoat.

Here is a link i was looking at if i dont buy local what do people think about it, is it a good brand and will it be enough so fourth.

6 LITRE 2K JET BLACK KIT * AUTO PAINT * INC HARDENER (eBay item 120615292133 end time 28-Mar-11 15:27:17 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

I am after a deep black but real glossy looking without orange peel if i can help it but prep work is what i will have to get down to an art. If there is any Spray Painters by trade or a backyarder that turned out great i would like to hear from you and how you would go about the attacking the job and the do's and dont's.

Sorry for rambling on but i want to cover every corner i can thanx.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
plenty of hi-fill and plenty of paint. the more you layer on of the black, the more you can block back flat after its dry.

not sure about your current paint though. some guys on here reckon that spraying 2K over acrylic is a big no no. so surface preperation is all up to how far you wanna take it

also: get a mask. and a good one. that crap really hurts your lungs.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Thanx for the reply, Its black already but real thin and has pearl in it i will take back the crows feet back to metal its mostly going back to metal.

Do i put a clear over it? Also i heard you can put abit of Pearl in the Clear. Its cherry Black atm.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you can if you want. personally i wouldnt. clear is just another thing in a long line of things that can go wrong. plain ol' regular black looks really nice and sprays out pretty easily, so it'd be good for your first time with a gun.

just get ready to rub the fingerprints off your fingers. a LOT of sanding ahead of ya ;)

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
yeah, 2K and 2K primer is toxic if absorbed through skin or lungs isnt it?

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
I'm going to do it in my shed with the door open, and tarps on the roof and walls, What do people think about the Ebay link? and does anyone know where i can get a good mask but priced well. you have to get a better one that a charcol one dont you?

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
get a sandstrom blue kit, a little pricey but well worth it. although you really want an air fed respirator and a spray suit. all 2k products are highly toxic. if you're gonna paint it 2k black in the shed, prepare for a lot and i mean a lot of buffing. can i suggest putting some exhaust fans in the windows and using a hose to wet down your walls and floor. this'll help a lot. also try keeping your coats medium wet. this help come buffing time.

as always if you need to know anything else. hit me up

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
+1 to sundstrom. but surprisingly those filters need to be replaced pretty often. i use mine whenever i am doing anything that kicks up dust (rubbing bog, paint stripping, even sweeping the floors) and i have found it dies in about a month.

the other thing i have noticed is that my eyes sting after a big spraying session, so i am gonna get some goggles next. you might laugh, but its not worth dying for.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Personally, i think you're really jumping in the deep end for your first go at painting. I'd certainly be going to a local paint shop and getting some mis-tints (paint they have matched wrong, you get it cheaper) and having a stab on some old panels.

Painting a whole car in black for your first time, is going to end in disaster IMO.

Honestly, if you're going to have to rub and buff 2 pack that much to get it looking half decent, you might aswell just paint it in acrylic. :)

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
ari666, if you're painting a lot. buy an airfed respirator. it'll run you around $700. but it's well worth it. just make sure you keep the protective covers stocked up. once you use one you'll wonder how you ever painted without one.