Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad clear coat

reidy1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
i just finished tinting my taillights and they turned out great up untill i applyed cear coat. the coat isnt 100% smooth. it has a texture to it that stands out in the sunlight. does anyone no what would cause this and how to fix it? i was thinkin maybe cut and polish?? i will be painting my bumpers and skirts soon so all info will be appreciated.
the clear coat i used was k&h clear topcoat acrylic lacquer

cheers

Fitzy09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina 1998 Not my dp
Try using some 1500 grit (or higher if possible) wet dry paper over whole thing that apply clear coat lightly, apply again after first bit drys and keep going till you get a smooth finish

NAY73N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II S Pak
With clear coating your tail lights its a good idea to have the tint coat smooth before clear coating and they are dust free. With getting the clear coat smooth rub it down as suggested with 1500grit or 2000grit wet n dry paper untill you run your hand over it and feels smooth then apply clear coat again or buff the tail lights up. But i would opt for .... rub, clear, rub some more and clear again then rub once more till very smooth and then buff the lights untill all light scratch marks are gone.

reidy1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
cheers fellas ill give it a go on the weekend