Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad fuel economy/When should I be filling up?

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
Hey,

I have a 2000 Manual VX S Pack V6 and I wanna get the most k's out of a tank that I can, as I have pretty crap fuel economy for a manual anyway. (450km a tank, tops)

What could be causing such bad fuel economy?

Also, when should I be filling my car up? I have got the needle down to about 2mm above the red line, but the fuel light doesn't go on. So to get the most out of a tank, when should I top up?

Cheers,
Chris.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
stuffed 02's will coarse bad fuel economy

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
dude thats not that bad fuel economy
in my VR auto b4 a few mods i was getting 330 from full tank to 1/4.
is that from all highway driving? coz then thats bad

shouldnt let ur fuel go that low coz u pick up all the crap from the bottom of ur fuel tank.

refill at the 1/4 mark

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
What sort of driving are you doing?

I get around 450-500 all city/town driving, but out on the highway I've got 800km to 58 litres (75 Litre tank).

The fuel light comes on at 90km to go, but it could be at a certain level in which your driving style will means less. They also apparently keep 7 litres in reserve, but not 100% sure on this.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
stuffed O2 sensors like said above, also a dirty air flow meter could cause poor fuel economy. also if u didnt know ecotecs have injector shut off when u are off the accelerator and have enough revs and speed etc. so slow down using the gears and u'll use no fuel, should be easy in a manual.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I think the reserve is way out with the VT's. I get about 450-500km. Red light has been on for a good 50km. Go off and fill the car with 55 litres of fuel. That's a staggering 20 litres left, And all the car is showing is 20km to go low.

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
What sort of driving are you doing?

I get around 450-500 all city/town driving, but out on the highway I've got 800km to 58 litres (75 Litre tank).

The fuel light comes on at 90km to go, but it could be at a certain level in which your driving style will means less. They also apparently keep 7 litres in reserve, but not 100% sure on this.

Hey mate I'm actually also around the East Gippsland area so you'll know the roads. Mostly a mixture of both, probably 70% town, 30% highway driving for me.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Hey mate I'm actually also around the East Gippsland area so you'll know the roads. Mostly a mixture of both, probably 70% town, 30% highway driving for me.

Oh cool, What part of East Gippsland? Also see the link in my sig, register your interest if your interested.

Fuel economy probably isnt to bad if its mostly town driving depending on how hard you drive to.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
stuffed O2 sensors like said above, also a dirty air flow meter could cause poor fuel economy. also if u didnt know ecotecs have injector shut off when u are off the accelerator and have enough revs and speed etc. so slow down using the gears and u'll use no fuel, should be easy in a manual.

I think the reserve is way out with the VT's. I get about 450-500km. Red light has been on for a good 50km. Go off and fill the car with 55 litres of fuel. That's a staggering 20 litres left, And all the car is showing is 20km to go low.

What these guys say is true. New O2 sensors, clean your MAF, that should see a substantial economy and drivability improvement.

When talking about your economy, its more helpful to speak in L/100km, because like SlickHolden says, the reserve on these cars is about 15-20L.

I used to have a manual VT V6, I'd do the daily commute to work and back in Sydney traffic (on Victoria Rd for those who know what a shocker it is) and I'd get 12.5L/100 consistently. If I did less peak hour driving it would nudge under 12L/100, but was always around that mark.

The best time to refuel is when the petrol is cheapest! Where I am thats usually Wednesday morning. If you can survive by only refueling once a week, do it when its the cheapest. If you drive so much that you need to fill mid-week, try and do it as soon as the fuel light comes on.

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
Oh cool, What part of East Gippsland? Also see the link in my sig, register your interest if your interested.

Fuel economy probably isnt to bad if its mostly town driving depending on how hard you drive to.

I'm down near the Bairnsdale area.

I mostly do town driving so I'll see how many litres I get out of a tank when i do a bit more highway driving and see how I go.