Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad fuel smell in cabin

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by camvs, Jan 19, 2009.

1. camvs

camvs New Member

Members Ride:
    just bought a 5.0L vs auto ute on dual fuel. recently ive noticed a very bad fuel smell in the cabin when the windows are down. i can only smell it when the car is on and the windows are down but it doesnt matter if its on gas or petrol. i've had a good look in the engine bay and under the car but everything seems ok. i'd love to take the lid off in the tray to inspect the fuel tank but i've got a 80L gas tank sitting on top of it! has anyone had this problem before? or do i need to take it to an lpg place to remove the gas tank and inspect the fuel tank? cheers guys. any help much appreciated.

2. Harvs82

Harvs82 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
    I'd start by checking the fuel lines under the bonnet, as well as checking out the charcoal canister and all the rubber hoses going into it. Check for cracks or any sign of perishing. The charcoal canister is a round shaped barrel with about three or four hoses going to it, on the V6 its located next to the radiator near the battery, but I'm not 100% certain if its in the same location on the V8. Also check the lines at the fuel filler neck, especially the vapour lines, they are prone to breaking or cracking.

3. jas98

jas98 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
    yeh check all fuel lines and make sure alll the hose clamps are tight. I was moveing me mums vn today and when i got out i smelt fuel so i check under teh fuel tank quickly and noticed a heap of fuel spurting out from the fuel fitler. turns out the hose (that was replaced not long ago) went really soft and the hose clamps did nothing.....lucking it didn't come off down the street..all fixed now though.

4. karl melville

karl melville New Member

Members Ride:
    VN commodore 1990
    RE bad smell in cabin

hey m8
    just did mine to day if you look behind the drivers side rear wheel you have to take it off to get to it but there is a piece of plate held on by 3 screews take that off and check the fule vapour lines if they were like mine the were compleatly gone so everytime i fuled up my car it would over flow and go on the ground you also need to take of 1 of the bolts holding up the tank to get to the top of the tank were there are two lil nipple type things with you have to run to the black thing with 4 nipples things off that dont make much sence in how im writing this but will make sence when you open it up and have a look at it this is a common prob on these commodores ive been told

5. rocco555

rocco555 New Member

Members Ride:
    E46 M3
    if its a strong smell in the cabin, your definitely leaking fuel from somewhere

start her up and follow all fuel lines from the front to the back of the car to find it

6. Trevor 062

Trevor 062 Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
    Buy a new fuel filler cap to start with..

7. Folker147

Folker147 New Member

Members Ride:
    3.8lt VS Manual Ute
    I have the same problem, recently purchased a manual VS v6 and the cab gets the smell of petrol but only when the Windows are Down.
    Cheers for the tips.
    Gut says problems gotta be under the bonnet

8. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    .. known problem on VR (and some VS) V8s

had it on my HSV enhanced VR Berlina
    and the dealer went and fitted some sort of kit
    yeah.. it cost (it was out of warranty) but never
    had the problem again

9. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    If its a ute the issue will be at the tank. Replace all tbe breather pipes and the problem should be solved.

10. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Active Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    My vr did this once I think it was my fuel hose under the drivers side up behind the back wheel, it could also be a leaking exhaust fumes.