Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad fuel ve 2 Calais v8

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Life would be easier for owners if Holden weren’t such tight arses and kept the removable fuel pump/sender access covers when building the body. But they saved a few dollars by not punching two holes in the seat base, not needing two covers some gaskets and 6 screws... Dealers won’t have been able to make such a killing on dropping tanks if Holden did what the6 should have...

As is, with dark fuel which likely smells wrong, I’d say you’ve got contaminated fuel. Curious what a sample from the bottom of the jerry can would look like in comparison ;)

But it must be said, when I suffered fuel contamination (twice), I never had white exhaust smoke. Normally, white exhaust smoke is caused by engine coolant getting into the combustion chamber so maybe the fuel contamination resulted in more damage damage than just blocked injectors :eek:

In any case, if it’s all flushed out and everything is cleaned up then you should be fine... unless running lean cracked your head... In my case after cleaning tank, lines and injectors, everything was fine, though fuel consumption went up 1 ltr per 100 kms, likely due to slightly contaminated O2 sensors (which is on my to do list but low priority) :D

Let us know how you get on... pics always nice to see :cool:

adam184

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V8
The white smoke seems to just be water. The fuel was e10 and may have water contamination as previously described. I too was worried about a head gasket. It’s not using coolant or oil and there is water in the oil or oil in the water. I will see how it goes.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The white smoke seems to just be water. The fuel was e10 and may have water contamination as previously described. I too was worried about a head gasket. It’s not using coolant or oil and there is water in the oil or oil in the water. I will see how it goes.

I guess you meant there isn't water in the oil or oil in the water.
The white smoke would probably be steam from the water.

What Outlet / Petrol Station did you get the fuel from ?

We were selling my daughters car not August last year, and I got a bad tank of fuel in my Daughters Car [Mazda 3] and activated the MIL, I scanned it, and it said the oxygen sensor had failed,
2 Days later my nephew had got petrol from the same 7/11 store [Black Rock] and his MIL came on, [2012 VE V6 Thunder Ute]
I scanned it for him and the same fault, Oxygen Sensor fault.
I went back to the 7/11 store and said I think their fuel is contaminated, and they gave me the number of the 7/11 claims department,
I called them and they took it very seriously, They said to get a quote to get the car fixed, I emailed Brighton Mazda for a quote and they never replied, no acknowledgement from them.
So we just used the fuel that was in the car,
and after 2 ignition cycles, the MIL disappeared, and has never come on again,
We finished that tank of fuel, and filled it up a number of times after that, and it ran fine,
We have since sold it.

Last edited: