Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad fuel ve 2 Calais v8

adam184

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V8
Hi all,
apologies if this is not the correct spot.
I need some help. A couple of weeks ago I got a batch of bad fuel. Rough running, white smoke, low power, and throttle response.
I have checked the smoke with the white rag method. It’s mostly water. I cut an access hole to remove the fuel pump and remove as much fuel as possible.
iwant to drain the last 40lts in the tank by manually running the fuel pum. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Can I bridge out the relay? If so can someone supply the wiring diagram and the location of the relay.
as always I am open to other suggestion.
thanks in advance.
Adam

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Check with your insurance company whether they cover fuel contamination.
If they do, they would usually want a statement that it’s fuel contamination on the repair quote and/or their assessor to look at the car while in the shop.

If you are covered for such and have the fuel receipt, and especially if you use the same place in the last few fills, then you’ve identified the person/business at fault so can correctly argue you don’t have to even pay an excess.

If you are covered, it’s best to go through the claim process as it means the tank and lines will be correctly flushed and you’d likely get new fuel pump and injectors as well.

Such is much better option if available to you than faffing around yourself and cutting into the body’s metalwork :rolleyes:

If your insurance doesn’t cover such, then you could try and empty the tank yourself but really it should be removed and cleaned along with your in-tank fuel sock, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel rail and injectors. Fuel contamination is an expensive repair...

Also, IIRC, the VE’s fuel pump is pulsed control modulated, either via a separate fuel controller or within the ecu itself. This impacts how the power is sent to the fuel pump as there may not always be a relay in such systems.

adam184

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V8
Check with your insurance company whether they cover fuel contamination.
If they do, they would usually want a statement that it’s fuel contamination on the repair quote and/or their assessor to look at the car while in the shop.

If you are covered for such and have the fuel receipt, and especially if you use the same place in the last few fills, then you’ve identified the person/business at fault so can correctly argue you don’t have to even pay an excess.

If you are covered, it’s best to go through the claim process as it means the tank and lines will be correctly flushed and you’d likely get new fuel pump and injectors as well.

Such is much better option if available to you than faffing around yourself and cutting into the body’s metalwork :rolleyes:

If your insurance doesn’t cover such, then you could try and empty the tank yourself but really it should be removed and cleaned along with your in-tank fuel sock, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel rail and injectors. Fuel contamination is an expensive repair...

Also, IIRC, the VE’s fuel pump is pulsed control modulated, either via a separate fuel controller or within the ecu itself. This impacts how the power is sent to the fuel pump as there may not always be a relay in such systems.
Thanks for that.
unfortunately I droppEd my insurance to third party after being made redundant through COVID. I need to get it Running. When I had the pump out. There was no fouling on the filters and no floatiesin the tank. I just need to run the fuel pump to get this fuel out. Clean the injectors (again) and it should be ok.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It might be a little bit more complicated than simply running the fuel pump. The tank in the VE/VF is banana shaped to go over the tail shaft. The pump can only directly pump fuel out one side of the the tank.

The flow of fuel from the fuel return line is used to create a negative pressure to draw the fuel from the other side of the tank in to the side with the pump. If there is no ‘return flow’ this won’t happen.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I haven’t seen a VE workshop manual and don’t have a VE myself so I may be wrong. But I thought the fuel system was like that in the VF which uses a non-return fuel line and PCM fuel pump control to keep line pressure within the target zone.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I haven’t seen a VE workshop manual and don’t have a VE myself so I may be wrong. But I thought the fuel system was like that in the VF which uses a non-return fuel line and PCM fuel pump control to keep line pressure within the target zone.
I’m not totally sure myself either! I recall that I read something about the swirl pot is used to draw fuel from the other side of the tank, and that it used the return fuel to create the venturi effect. I’m not sure if the ‘fuel return’ flow is from the engine/fuel rail or just a ‘return’ within the tank itself.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It might be a little bit more complicated than simply running the fuel pump. The tank in the VE/VF is banana shaped to go over the tail shaft. The pump can only directly pump fuel out one side of the the tank.

The flow of fuel from the fuel return line is used to create a negative pressure to draw the fuel from the other side of the tank in to the side with the pump. If there is no ‘return flow’ this won’t happen.

I'm not sure if that's correct, but I would be dropping the tank to make sure its spotless....

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u want to run the pump then be very careful as u can run all fuel out of the pot before it can fill and running the pump dry will kill it quickly, when u hear it pumping fuel it has a note and then it changes to a higher note when it gets air so stop at that point and wait for pot to fill up again, but if ur at that point u prob only have 10-15 litres left, or u can remove the module and get into the tank to see if its bad or not

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi all,
apologies if this is not the correct spot.
I need some help. A couple of weeks ago I got a batch of bad fuel. Rough running, white smoke, low power, and throttle response.
I have checked the smoke with the white rag method. It’s mostly water. I cut an access hole to remove the fuel pump and remove as much fuel as possible.
iwant to drain the last 40lts in the tank by manually running the fuel pum. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Can I bridge out the relay? If so can someone supply the wiring diagram and the location of the relay.
as always I am open to other suggestion.
thanks in advance.
Adam

I had to pump the fuel out of mine to be able to remove the tank unit last year, I connect a 12V battery up to the terminals under the seat
There was a thread I created with wiring connections/colours.

The Second time I just syphoned it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
14a650b8-d0be-4ceb-9764-b1cf958f6e03.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandlef...mwzIaTUKngXM_fMhA_hoCahYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds