Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad idle : told it is my inlet manifold $400-$600 to fix

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
$50 for the inlet gasket and as paradox said 1.5 hours. Do the math. I would look at it this way for $600 you could buy some tools and a gregorys manual and learn something.
Have a go.
Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I just got a series two vp manifold for 5.50 of ebay complete with throttlebody and all the sensors!!

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
aussieghostrider -
so what was the problem with yours? inlet manifold gasket ? or coil pack ?

pow3rslave or others.
anyone know were this is ? instruction on how to replace inlet manifold gasket
"howto on the other commodore site about doing the inlet manifold gasket. "

If only have basic knowledge and experience mechanically( not an expert) would you attempt ? or is ot too hard/risky ?

Inlet manifold gasket is stuffed , thew car went from developing a miss at low revs and vibration at traffic lights that got worse and worse that the vibration went away but car started to stall ...when that happened I bought a few bottles of this stuff called CARGO .. its glass and copper fillings or some crap ... anyhow I flush radiator and put 2 bottles of that stuff in .. .. and filled up the bottle ... and let car idle a while to get air out of system .. put cap on then went for a 30minute drive on the freeway with the heater turned on to let the stuff work its way through ... left it in for a few more days of driving then pulled hoses off and drained again ..and let the engine/radiator sit empty for 12 hours so the stuff will go hard ... now fill back up with coolant and see how you go ... it worked for me ... but just to make sure I then flushed radiator and filled back with with coolant and a bottle of Bars stop leak ... it lubricates waterpump and gaskets and stops further leaks ... you leave that stuff in for good ...

my coil pack even though original is not the problem ... inlet manifold gaskets go on them at 200,000 km mark usually .. I called around and got a quote of $300 to replace gasket so that works out $50 for gasket, $50 coolant and $200 for labour.

but some of you said 1.5 hours to do the job so I might make a few more phone calls ..

anyone having bad idle and your car uses a little coolant then inlet manifold gasket for sure , was told headgaskets on the vn-vp are like steel and dont blow very easy ..

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think the beer made time seem to go faster than it really did for paradox, it's more than a 1.5 hour job for the first and second times at least. But you will do it in either a morning or an afternoon. I would however expect a full time mechanic to do it in 1.5 hours or less but the chances are the 1st year aprentice will be doing that kind of job and in that case you are better off doing it yourself since it's the same thing. Except you will be more carefull and do a better job :)