Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad idle : told it is my inlet manifold $400-$600 to fix

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
I was gonna sell my car but it **** me to no end to find out what the idle problem was and after alot of stuffing around ..

1.spark plugs and leads
2.fuel pump
3.balancer
4.fuel filter
5.injector clean
6.new oil and filter
7.spray half can nulon bottle cleaner into throttle body lot of dark fluid comes out

after all that idle did improve but had a slight miss

coil pack and dfi are original from factory and I said this to an auto electrician who said nar wont be that I bet you didnt gap spark plugs which I replied mate they ngk I asked for them for a vn and the are all pre gapped to 1.5 which is what a vn v6 is.

My brakes rotors were warped ( getting the wobble on steering wheel when braking) so took to a brake place got new rotors and pads repacked wheel bearings etc $412

I asked them to find what idle and miss problem is to have them say 100% its inlet manifold but they said $400 to fix including coolant etc ...

but he said if manifold rusted and needs welding cost extra $100 and if manifold rooted then have to get a good one from the wreckers ..

The brakes I not to fussed about .. $400 is fair to me ... but how much really should any mechanic charge to replace inlet manifold gasket and or replace with a good 2nd hand inlet manifold ???

he said $400 -$600

I live in sydney in sutherland shire ... aussie mechanics I can trust but I no longer trust ethnic mechanics as have been ripped off big time ... seems because Im from the shire so that automatically means im racist so excuses them ripping me off ..

Thanks in advance for your replies ..

Last edited:

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
a wreckers probably wouldn't even cost $100 for a newie.
but'd i'd say that if the problem is the inlet manifold it'll be the gasket seal around the base of it. there's a howto on the other commodore site about doing the inlet manifold gasket.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
4-600 is pretty expensive, do it yourself, its not hard at all. manifold gasket is like 30-40bucks coolent $10, if you feel inspired do it yourself or get a mate to help ya that knows abit about cars.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i never had a quote done for something like this, but the howto thread i mentioned said it could cost "$400 +" professionally. i guess it depends how long they take to do it tho. labours the kicker

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
unless your car has been run on straight water its whole life, or just has a deformed manifold, i doubt it will need welding, or replacing, the gaskets justabout always leak!, go aorund and check all your bolts are tight, if not try tighteneing them up, might get lucky, but i doubt it. change the gaskets yourself. isnt hard at all.

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
My VN V6 had a very similar problem. Rough Idle and annoying miss under acceleration.

Just changed the coil pack and mounting and fixed the fault. If you've got a spare it's worth a shot.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
^^^

yeah I was told by someone else my coil pack and dfi module as there are original from the factory ...

I was told to upgrade to VP coil pack ...

I will ring the wreckers see how much they want ..

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
aussieghostrider -
so what was the problem with yours? inlet manifold gasket ? or coil pack ?

pow3rslave or others.
anyone know were this is ? instruction on how to replace inlet manifold gasket
"howto on the other commodore site about doing the inlet manifold gasket. "

If only have basic knowledge and experience mechanically( not an expert) would you attempt ? or is ot too hard/risky ?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It will be on f o r u m . s t r e e t c o m m o d o r e s . c o m . a u
:) but they have recently had a JC style server failure so most of the pictures and files are gone, this thread might have been lucky