Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad luck buying a car...

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
A fool and his money etc.....
A deposit is exactly that, its not a gift.....

If anyone asked me to put a non refundable deposit on a car, i'd just walk away (thats a clear indication there IS something wrong with the purchase, and they just want your money)

I couldn't find the relevent info from my state, but theres 2 different types of deposits. Holding deposit and purchase deposit. Holding deposit is refundable! Purchase deposit isn't.

thing is though,if your going to buy a car you should have the money to buy the car. theres no point going to buy a car,be unsure if you want it or can afford it & ask the bloke to hold it for you. if i was asked to hold a car for someone i would be telling them to go get buggered politely. i have held cars for people before & 9 times out of 10 its turned to a pile of poo,so i dont anymore. if they wanta think about it whatever,fine but i dont want your money & the cars still for sale. if you miss out,tough bickies for you. if i was given say 100 bucks for a deposit to purchase the car & they changed their mind for whatever reason,fair enough you can have 50-70 bucks back depending on advertising costs. i even tell the buyer beforehand as well as write it in the receipt. i have never had a complaint yet & only 1 car i had didnt sell(his mommy wouldnt let him buy it,lol). i gave him all his deposit back because he was a young bloke in need of a first car so i knew where he was coming from. 2 weeks later he knocks on my door,gives me a box of beer & thanks me. i have even been nice enough in the past to let people pay off the car but never again as the last few times i have had to go repo the car & thats not nice,i wouldnt want to have a car repo'd from me & i dont like doing it to other people.

it comes down to a simple case of do your homework,have the bucks,get receipts & a bit of gut instinct about who your buyng a car off

saber

Reaction score
Members Ride
None - At the moment :)
I'd be reporting that to the police. A deposit is refundable no matter what. Your putting a deposit on the car so he doesn't sell it, while you check it out and make sure everything is fine (and clearly it wasn't).

JAKE-26, do you have a receipt??? If you do, follow STEALTHY advice, and report it to the police.
If you don't, well chalk this one up to experience. Maybe in the future, right up a receipt before you leave a deposit, and make sure both parties sign it!

If your in the habit of giving money away for nothing, i'll send you my bank details :)

I could always do with an extra few bob in the old account for friday night drinks :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
How much was the deposit - if $100 no biggy. If $1,000 - fight like hell. :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
How much was the deposit - if $100 no biggy. If $1,000 - fight like hell. :)

Once again, anyone wanting to get rid of $100, you can come and look at my car (its not for sale tho, but we'll pretend it is just so i get your $100)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Once again, anyone wanting to get rid of $100, you can come and look at my car (its not for sale tho, but we'll pretend it is just so i get your $100)
c'mon stealthy....... we get the joke but the bloke feels bad enough...no need to rub it in....we all get screwed sometime especially when we're new to the game and decide to cut our losses and move on...you'll always find monday experts after you make a expensive mistake..do what you can to get it back but if its not worth the effort .....learn from it....

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride

I looked at his whole post and I read into it that he is a little concerned about getting his money back. (but did not say how much the deposit was) He may have felt that the few $$ deposit was not worth the fight - or out comes from a fight. Would you demand your money back from a tough looking bikie if he says "get stuffed"?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
just wondering was the first vs ute on gas with a clubby kit??
Nah mate it was just stock, had a hardlid that was about it. The bloke's reposted it on carsales. I really wish there was a way you could flag it as repaired so others knew...

i think the funniest water immersion i've seen was in sydney at a wreckers i worked at. the car(a bmw) had been in the sea for something like 6 months!! when it came in it had barnacles & coral growing on it. there was shellfish,starfish & all manner of left over sea life in the bloody thing. what was even more amazing was the thing still started after the engine was drained,flushed & re-filled with oil! i'm still amazed it did. the car was actually still under new car warranty,the bloke who bought the engine stuck it in his car drove for 6 months & blew the engine up. it was then replaced for free under a manufacture warranty,lol.
Haha no ****!? Some dealers will do anything to make a bit of coin.

I'd be reporting that to the police. A deposit is refundable no matter what. Your putting a deposit on the car so he doesn't sell it, while you check it out and make sure everything is fine (and clearly it wasn't).

JAKE-26, do you have a receipt??? If you do, follow STEALTHY advice, and report it to the police.
If you don't, well chalk this one up to experience. Maybe in the future, right up a receipt before you leave a deposit, and make sure both parties sign it!

He actually did write a reciept (in extremely bad english). Had i think cost, deposited amount, balance left, for 'holden ute', both mine and his signatures. My dad payed the depo and was dealing with it all, you guys reakon i have a good case here?

Also in reply to VTLS1 yeah i had plenty enough cash but im sure some of you will agree with me that its probably not the best idea to pay the full amount of a car the first time you see it.
Im not that annoyed about the depo as it wasnt mine for one and it was better than buying a shifty car, but id still love to make the dodgy bloke hand it back over to my dad!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you purchased the ute - or just forked out a heap of cash with nothing to show for it - but a reciept and some rego papers?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah we gave him the depo i think last weekend, he gave us back a reciept. The next day my dad rang the mechanic about the rwc, and he told us that it had been repairable write off and in his opinion, we shouldnt buy the car. so we let the seller know and we wanted out money back because he never said it was a repaired write off, and he just told us we had to be joking.