Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad luck buying a car...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yeah we gave him the depo i think last weekend, he gave us back a reciept. The next day my dad rang the mechanic about the rwc, and he told us that it had been repairable write off and in his opinion, we shouldnt buy the car. so we let the seller know and we wanted out money back because he never said it was a repaired write off, and he just told us we had to be joking.

He is on a winner then if he repeats this every weekend - he should be able to make some good money out of it. The road worthy man may also be in on the scam too - telling you not to buy it. He may be on a bonus if he can scam 3 or 4 buyers.

What is the main issue with the car? Did the roady bloke say? or was it just his opinion that you should not buy it.

Time to call in the police or consumer affairs to see if you can get you $$$ ack.

PS - I have seen my dad rebuild many a write off car with skill and would be happy to own any of them. It's all down to who and how they fixed it.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I looked at his whole post and I read into it that he is a little concerned about getting his money back. (but did not say how much the deposit was) He may have felt that the few $$ deposit was not worth the fight - or out comes from a fight. Would you demand your money back from a tough looking bikie if he says "get stuffed"?

As VTLS1 said, gut instinct of who your buying from. I wouldn't be buying from such a person in the first place......

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Well the mechanic told my dad that the seller had got 2 roady's on it because the first was too strict so he got another one.

Nah my dad didn't ask the reason why it was written off. i could have payed the 24 bucks to find out but i didn't bother. the fact he said he wuldnt be buying it for his son was enough for us.

I know what you mean about the repaired one, some would be fine, maybe better after it. But on the revs check its status was 'repairable write off', and i noticed the other one was 'inspected write off'. i googled inspected to find out that it had been passed by vic roads, but now im questioning if the first one had even been tested/passed by vic roads yet?

And STELTHY, the guy was a lebo. was a little shifty anyway so that kinda puts me off anyway, no offence meant to other lebos

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah we gave him the depo i think last weekend, he gave us back a reciept. The next day my dad rang the mechanic about the rwc, and he told us that it had been repairable write off and in his opinion, we shouldnt buy the car. so we let the seller know and we wanted out money back because he never said it was a repaired write off, and he just told us we had to be joking.

Like i mentioned before, theres 2 different types of deposit. It 'sounds' like a holding deposit, therefore should be refundable since the car wasn't how he described it.

A purchase deposit is when you give him the money, the agreement is made to buy the car as it is, and your usually just sorting out the rest of the funds. Therefore if you change your mind, tuff cookies.

I'd seriously take it to the cops (You didn't say how much the deposit actually was.....care to let us know how much?)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
And STELTHY, the guy was a lebo. was a little shifty anyway so that kinda puts me off anyway, no offence meant to other lebos

Alot of people would have that opinion lol. I actually bought my current car off one, although i'm a pretty good judge of character (plus the car was a bargain at the price i paid)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
As VTLS1 said, gut instinct of who your buying from. I wouldn't be buying from such a person in the first place......

Very true Strealthy - we all learn over time - some people are not what they appear to be.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very true Strealthy - we all learn over time - some people are not what they appear to be.

Was there more to that comment? Sounds like your implying something :p

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah we i guess its a bit of a stereotype but it seems to be more common than not haha.

I thought i posted before but the deposit was 300 cash. Its not a whole lot but its 300 less that we've got now, and nothing to show for it

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah we i guess its a bit of a stereotype but it seems to be more common than not haha.

I thought i posted before but the deposit was 300 cash. Its not a whole lot but its 300 less that we've got now, and nothing to show for it

I'd defo be taking that further. Thats alot of money to just let go. At least you have a receipt (at first i was worried you just handed him cash and made a verbal agreement)