Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad luck buying a car...

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Hi everyone.
Im on the hunt for my very first car and have recently started looking at a few.
but ive had shocking luck on two i thought were perfect!

Looked at a mint 98 vs ute last weekend, all was good, even put down a deposit.
We later found out that it was a repairable write off and the rwc was kinda dodgy. well we told the seller we wanted our deposit back and he just laughed. Dont think i'l be looking at another lebo's car again...

Saw another today which looked good. came home and looked it up. it was f*****g write off aswell :bang:. althought it was inspected and everything so i bought the info package. turns out the damage was classed as full water immersion.... no thanks.

Who else has had bad luck/experiences buying a car?

MissQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ exec
pretty much had the same experience as you trying to find my car.
when we were looking at VX's, somebody tried to sell us a series I, although they advertised it as a series II.
people claiming their cars had never been in an accident, yet when we would looked into them they were repairable write offs.

so i ended paying a bit more to get a newer model, with a good history.

ozz

Reaction score
just wondering was the first vs ute on gas with a clubby kit??

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Looked at a mint 98 vs ute last weekend, all was good, even put down a deposit.
We later found out that it was a repairable write off and the rwc was kinda dodgy. well we told the seller we wanted our deposit back and he just laughed. Dont think i'l be looking at another lebo's car again...

I'd be reporting that to the police. A deposit is refundable no matter what. Your putting a deposit on the car so he doesn't sell it, while you check it out and make sure everything is fine (and clearly it wasn't)
If your in the habit of giving money away for nothing, i'll send you my bank details :)

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
it comes down to finding a car you know you really want & doing a revs check. its a little pricey if you have to do it a few times but it saves hassles in the long run. the other option is to buy at auction as revs checks are already done for you,go to a dodgy car dealer or buy from a wrecking yard(not all wrecking yards though as some are dodgey,lol) as for the vehicle that had water immersion,it wouldnt bother me personally. if the vehicle had been in salt water or been immersed for more than 48 hours it becomes a statutory write off & cant be put back on the road. in my time i have seen cars with a little water in the foglights,car still drives well but a little damp & there written off for good. some cars that become stat write offs are better than some cars on the road. i think the funniest water immersion i've seen was in sydney at a wreckers i worked at. the car(a bmw) had been in the sea for something like 6 months!! when it came in it had barnacles & coral growing on it. there was shellfish,starfish & all manner of left over sea life in the bloody thing. what was even more amazing was the thing still started after the engine was drained,flushed & re-filled with oil! i'm still amazed it did. the car was actually still under new car warranty,the bloke who bought the engine stuck it in his car drove for 6 months & blew the engine up. it was then replaced for free under a manufacture warranty,lol.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Keep at it, I was almost going to give up hope until my current car chose me :)

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
I'd be reporting that to the police. A deposit is refundable no matter what. Your putting a deposit on the car so he doesn't sell it, while you check it out and make sure everything is fine (and clearly it wasn't)
If your in the habit of giving money away for nothing, i'll send you my bank details :)

Unless he got a written receipt signed by the seller saying he paid $XXX as a deposit on *insert car details* on the condition it has clear title/not written off etc, the the cops wont even want to know about it. Unfortunately I know a few people who have had the same thing done and they just had to cop the loss.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Unless he got a written receipt signed by the seller saying he paid $XXX as a deposit on *insert car details* on the condition it has clear title/not written off etc, the the cops wont even want to know about it. Unfortunately I know a few people who have had the same thing done and they just had to cop the loss.

exactamundo unfortunately. thats why i always ask for a receipt & give a receipt with clauses saying clear title etc. it may sound mean but i usually add on the receipt that a certain amount is non-refundable,i mean it costs to sell the car so if the buyer doesnt come through you need to re-coup some cost.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

A fool and his money etc.....
A deposit is exactly that, its not a gift.....

If anyone asked me to put a non refundable deposit on a car, i'd just walk away (thats a clear indication there IS something wrong with the purchase, and they just want your money)

I couldn't find the relevent info from my state, but theres 2 different types of deposits. Holding deposit and purchase deposit. Holding deposit is refundable! Purchase deposit isn't.