Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad Mechanic

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
Hi this is a bit off topic for this forum but I need some advice to help out my brother. He has a nissan 180sx and he blew the turbo not long ago he ended up taking it to ultra tune and getting a new one for $1800 he has had it for a week and took it to go get tuned and due to something to do with the angle the ultra tune guys put the turbo in ment that the gage wasn't working properly and they had it waaaaaaay to high, like 30psi. he now has blown a piston ring and a couple more a due to go with a total estimated bill of around $2000.

The problem is he's kinda a little wussy and doesn't want to go yell at them (my recommendation) I work in retail communications and we have the telecommunication ombudsman to sort out complaints like this is there something similar he can contact regarding the work done on his car.

p.s I do have a Holden VS so this post isn't completely random.

customvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 vt executive
a friend of mine had the same problem with ultra tune with his twin turbo soarer rip off pricks

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Out of curiousity, why would he go to such a general service mechanic to do performance work?

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
mechanic

He is an apprentice butcher and when the turbo went that was the closest place plus he works 7 days a week so its a little hard to organise anything else. But yes, in hindsight epicly bad decision.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
contact the mta (motor traders assoc.) basically the same as the telecom ambudsmen

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
maybe check out the ACCC website not sure if they are just for retail but you never know
and if they can help and the circumstances are right they can take them to court if they dont fix the problem for you some way or the other.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Hi this is a bit off topic for this forum but I need some advice to help out my brother. He has a nissan 180sx and he blew the turbo not long ago he ended up taking it to ultra tune and getting a new one for $1800 he has had it for a week and took it to go get tuned and due to something to do with the angle the ultra tune guys put the turbo in ment that the gage wasn't working properly and they had it waaaaaaay to high, like 30psi. he now has blown a piston ring and a couple more a due to go with a total estimated bill of around $2000.

The problem is he's kinda a little wussy and doesn't want to go yell at them (my recommendation) I work in retail communications and we have the telecommunication ombudsman to sort out complaints like this is there something similar he can contact regarding the work done on his car.

p.s I do have a Holden VS so this post isn't completely random.

Dude sorry, but if your bro was driving around on 30psi and didnt notice the difference between before and after, he deserves the blown piston rings. As soon as he drove out of the carpark it would have been obvious.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Dude sorry, but if your bro was driving around on 30psi and didnt notice the difference between before and after, he deservers the blown piston rings.

that ill agree on, depends though, the old turbo might have been out for a while, or slowly dieing down, new one in might appear to provide the power it had lost, etc etc or yes just didnt say anything

at the end of the day, they should have checked boost pressure after they had installed it

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
that ill agree on, depends though, the old turbo might have been out for a while, or slowly dieing down, new one in might appear to provide the power it had lost, etc etc or yes just didnt say anything

at the end of the day, they should have checked boost pressure after they had installed it

I've seen a stock ecotec run 2 crazy quarter mile times on 21psi before it blew to the shithouse. If he was running 30psi, it would have been too obvious to mention. But yes, they should have never installed it without checking boost. You'll have a hard time proving it though.

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
The problem is he knows next to nothing about cars and the new turbo was bigger so i dont blame him for not noticing it was to good to be true. thanks for the help though i will contact the mta. just feel bad for him seems like these days whenever you get something done by a "professional" you get let down.