Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad noise from engine! HELP

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well, I don't claim to know it all, but I've never heard of a broken cam bearing. They are fully supported within the block and sandwiched between the block and cam - how would you "break" one? I've heard of loose cam bearings which have drifted out of position within the block, but not broken ones.

As already said, the problem will be interesting to solve. Keep us informed.

They didn't specifically say broken, just that it doesn't sound right. Very hard to diagnose an internal engine problem without pulling the engine apart.

I bet on the starter motor, probably has worn out, and different temperature makes certain metals sizes increase/decrease, and that could be the reason it only happens sometimes.

I believe that the starer motor IS becoming stuffed. A starter motor not properly disengaging would likely of produced that rattling/gringing sound that the car was making. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the sound has come back since so we can't pinpoint the exact source. I will likely get the guy pulling the engine out to replace it anyway.

Is the noise in time with the revs of the engine? or is it more random? Could be something simple - don't let the mechanics take you to the cleaners

Yeah the noise is there all the way from idle to full revs, gets louder with revs. I have already had all the lifters replaced not long ago, and rockers and springs are fine.

I don't think my mechanic is likely to rip me off as they said they don't do engine rebuilds, so they aren't going to do any of the work. They did recommend me to a guy who apparently is pretty good with this sort of thing (engine rebuilds and swaps). I went and talked to him and he thinks the same thing about the bearings. Also this guy is cheap because he works for himself and doesn' have to pay any staff. He said about $1100 plus parts to remove the motor, strip it down, re-ring the pistons, new crank bearing, fit camshaft, new camshaft bearing and rebuild while checking everything as he goes.

He said that it was possible that the higher ratio rockers might be putting more pressure on the camshaft because the higher ratio means it pushes the springs down more, therefore it places more pressure on the camshaft, or something like that. Any ideas?

sandbar1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s/c spak
once the engine is warm, when you turn it off and back on after a short time does it still make the noise??
Or only after sitting for a while..ie, overnight???

i,m thinkn oil pump, or initial oil pressure at start up.....

davo.....

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Ok to diagnose end bearing and rod bearing failure, you need to look out for a few things
1. too much or not enough oil.
2. Low Oil Pressure
3. Random Engine lights
After these come up, you will start to hear a knocking, or a rapping noise, this means an end bearing is gone (new short block or crankshaft and bearings or new engine.)
Rod bearing noise is a metallic knock which is loudest at about 60 kilometers per hour without any acceleration.

Before ripping apart the block make sure that you have correct level of oil, and check for dilution on the dipstick (contamination) with another type of oil.

Easiest thing to do is drop a second hand or reconditioned in it if its bearing noise. i had this problem i had end bearings and rod bearings go.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
For a couple of weeks before my CRANKSHAFT shat a bearing shell it souded like a tin of sockets being rattled around for a few seconds... got progressively longer till it didn't go away, one half of a big end bearing had slipped around and was humping the other half. I was broke so I rebuilt the engine, it worked, but unfortunately my car was a Camira so I was wasting my time anyway!! :p

sandbar1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s/c spak
Ok to diagnose end bearing and rod bearing failure, you need to look out for a few things
2. Low Oil Pressure
3. Random Engine lights
After these come up, you will start to hear a knocking, or a rapping noise, this means an end bearing is gone (new short block or crankshaft and bearings or new engine.)
Rod bearing noise is a metallic knock which is loudest at about 60 kilometers per hour without any acceleration.

Before ripping apart the block make sure that you have correct level of oil, and check for dilution on the dipstick (contamination) with another type of oil.

Easiest thing to do is drop a second hand or reconditioned in it if its bearing noise. i had this problem i had end bearings and rod bearings go.

you got no idea of what your talkn bout mate???

davo.....

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
once the engine is warm, when you turn it off and back on after a short time does it still make the noise??
Or only after sitting for a while..ie, overnight???

i,m thinkn oil pump, or initial oil pressure at start up.....

davo.....

The noise is there from turn of the key onwards. I can always hear it when I am driving.

2. Low Oil Pressure
3. Random Engine lights

Oil level is spot on, and there is no contaminents on the dip-stick. Also I have never seen the engine light come on.

I'd rather not drop a second hand engine in my car as there is no telling wht problems that engine might have. Rather have the work done on my car so I know what has been done to it.

sandbar1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s/c spak
The noise is there from turn of the key onwards. I can always hear it when I am driving.

Oil level is spot on, and there is no contaminents on the dip-stick. Also I have never seen the engine light come on.

I'd rather not drop a second hand engine in my car as there is no telling wht problems that engine might have. Rather have the work done on my car so I know what has been done to it.

you have spun a main bearing bro......

davo.....

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
acarmody, i have exact same noise coming from left side of my engine! it has been there all along, but really faint, after giving car a bit of a work out it is really loud now. asked my local mechanic and he said change the oil and it will usually go away with the ecotecs, but id rather get it fixed properly. im gonna change oil and filter this weekend, if its still there ill take it to holden mechanic. let us no what happens with the noise and what the prob is when you get it fixed. cheers

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
see post 20

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
you got no idea of what your talkn bout mate???

davo.....

2. Low Oil Pressure
3. Random Engine lights

you have spun a main bearing bro......

davo.....

ok davo - as for not knowing what i'm talking about i've been in this territory before i just replaced my engine 3 weeks ago because of the same problem, i had slipped an main bearing you know the one on the bottom of the crankshaft, which connects the connecting rod to the crankshaft?.

The reason i was saying it would be easier to drop a new engine in it as you may have to have the crankshaft re machined if there is damage to it, but sure the bearings only cost about $500 from holden, so i assume you can find them somewhere else a tad cheaper all you have to do is remove the short block (bottom part) redo the piston bearings and the crankshaft main bearings.
** in my post before i used the wrong terminology i used end bearings instead of main bearings.