Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad noise from engine! HELP

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Take it easy Fitz you dont need to explain urself to anyone. If someone critisizes, its a forum, explain why so all can learn and see.... dont just bag people out.

Fitz, were there any lead up signs before ur bearings went ? Obviously you have dropped in a rebuilt motor ?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Dont harmonic balancers make a similar noise ? If it does turn out to be the Camshaft, go talk to MACE Engineering, as they will have a good cam for your 1.97's.

sandbar1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s/c spak
ok davo - as for not knowing what i'm talking about i've been in this territory before i just replaced my engine 3 weeks ago because of the same problem, i had slipped an main bearing you know the one on the bottom of the crankshaft, which connects the connecting rod to the crankshaft?.

The reason i was saying it would be easier to drop a new engine in it as you may have to have the crankshaft re machined if there is damage to it, but sure the bearings only cost about $500 from holden, so i assume you can find them somewhere else a tad cheaper all you have to do is remove the short block (bottom part) redo the piston bearings and the crankshaft main bearings.
** in my post before i used the wrong terminology i used end bearings instead of main bearings

o.k, thought i would post some pics of the last one i rebuilt so we know where things go.....
100_0317.jpg

bare block showing rebored cylinders and new cam bearings

100_0322.jpg

final assembly stage

100_0280.jpg

prior to rebuild

cost of rebuild....approx

rings......112
b/end bearings.....25
mains.......39
gasket kit....329

all parts supplied by mate in the trade....

machine work

rebore and hone
supplie and fit cam bearings, welch plugs etc
rezise conrods
spin wash all parts

$350,

Once again done by a mate......

heads

full reco, new valves, guides, couple of cracks plugged and welded, valve stem seals
$200

once again done by a mate...

engine removed and assembled by me.....

hope that gives you guys some info on whats involed in a rebuild of a s/c L67 v6......

davo.....

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
Dont harmonic balancers make a similar noise ? If it does turn out to be the Camshaft, go talk to MACE Engineering, as they will have a good cam for your 1.97's.

Harmonic balancers do make a similar sound, but the noise doesn't go away unless you are solidly accelerating, ie pulling away from lights, otherwise your engine will rattle and clang all the time, but will still run ok (DONT keep driving it tho...).

Before main bearings slip (spooning each other) it will rattle (but not 'clang') on start up and wear a lot, then the noise kind of goes away when oil pressure cushions the gap - untill one day it's worn enought that one bearing shell slides onto the other - and out come the sockets.

...but i don't know what a slipped cam bearing sounds like...?

Have seen engines on this forum for as low as $200...

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Take it easy Fitz you dont need to explain urself to anyone. If someone critisizes, its a forum, explain why so all can learn and see.... dont just bag people out.

Fitz, were there any lead up signs before ur bearings went ? Obviously you have dropped in a rebuilt motor ?

Mine had a bit of an dip when idling i would be sitting at the traffic lights and the revs werent constant it was anwhere from 500RPM to 800 rpm, then i kept getting low oil pressure so i did an oil change, still got low pressure so took a look at the pump, then i started to get bearing noise only a slight bearing noise but then when going up a hill i head a klunk (i guess that was the bearing spinning out) and then it just sounded like very large rattle and vibration. i thought it was my sump constantly hitting the crossmember.

then took it to my mechanic who changed the oil, and there was metal shards in it, and then took the sump off to find a spun out bearing.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
o.k, thought i would post some pics of the last one i rebuilt so we know where things go.....
100_0317.jpg

bare block showing rebored cylinders and new cam bearings

100_0322.jpg

final assembly stage

100_0280.jpg

prior to rebuild

cost of rebuild....approx

rings......112
b/end bearings.....25
mains.......39
gasket kit....329

all parts supplied by mate in the trade....

machine work

rebore and hone
supplie and fit cam bearings, welch plugs etc
rezise conrods
spin wash all parts

$350,

Once again done by a mate......

heads

full reco, new valves, guides, couple of cracks plugged and welded, valve stem seals
$200

once again done by a mate...

engine removed and assembled by me.....

hope that gives you guys some info on whats involed in a rebuild of a s/c L67 v6......

davo.....

Nice one davo..... i wasnt game enough to rip apart my engine because i didnt know what i was going to find..... just dropped a second hand in lol.... runs like a different car now

kojamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Could it be as simple as one of your pulleys being seized up. I had this happen and the belt would rub on it and increase in noise with revs. Have a look. It might be a cheap fix.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Could it be as simple as one of your pulleys being seized up. I had this happen and the belt would rub on it and increase in noise with revs. Have a look. It might be a cheap fix.

did it come with a knocking or rapping noise?