Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad noise from engine! HELP

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
On Sunday when I started my car there was this horrid noise coming from the engine bay, sounded like some sort of metal piece bouncing around in the engine, but after 15 secs it went away, so I turned the car off and started it again, same thing. I had to get to work so I drove carefully and there was no difference in engine behaviour.
Anyway finished work and went to start uo the car, first turn of the key nothing happened, as in engine didn't start or anything, so I turned the key off and on again and engine fired up but with the sound again, but this time for about 30 seconds. I was real close to calling a tow truck, but noise dissappeared so I drove it home no problems.
So Monday morning I turned it on to take it to the mechanic and again noise, but again stopped after about 20 seconds, so drove it to the mechanics. And of course when I went to demonstrate it to the mechanic, NO FRIGGIN NOISE :bang::bang:. So I told them to keep it there for a few days. 2 Days and no noise, but today I rung them and yep they have heard it, and yep its coming from the engine. They say possibly a bearing or something but they will investigate tomorrow. But they did say 'How do you feel about having to get a new engine?'.

Anyway has anyone ever had a similar problem? Also what would be the best option for me in the worst case scenario? Engine rebuild? Drop a second-hand Ecotec in? L67? Price is an issue for me, but if it has to happen......

Cheers everyone,
-Adrian

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could be any number of things but check the harmonic balancer, they can make a racket when they go. Check the condition of the rubber in the centre.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Starter motor not disengaging? How does the starter sound when you use it?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Could be any number of things but check the harmonic balancer, they can make a racket when they go. Check the condition of the rubber in the centre.

Once they go, that's it though. They wouldn't shut up after a while, then start again when the engine was restarted. They'd just bang and rattle until replaced.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Actually I thought it might be the starter motor as well, but the mechanic said that it doesn't sound like it. They will have a better look tomorrow. Also going to pull tappet covers off to have a look in there too (car also has a fairly noisy tappet sound coming from left side).

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
Please post the outcome, im interested to hear how you get on and what the cause is

Regards Chris

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I just came back from the mechanic. As for the grinding/rattling noise that comes at start-up, NO IDEA :bang:. Still think it may be the starter motor not properly disengaging, dunno hasn't done it since I dropped it off at the mechanic. But while they were investigating the tappet like noise they discovered it wasn't in the rocker cover, it isn't the lifters because I've already replaced them, so they said judging by the noise intensity (at near full throttle you can hear it about 10 metres away) and likely placement, I most likely have a broken camshaft bearing :bang::bang:.

Oh well cheaper than a new engine or a reco. New camshaft here I come :yeah:

Can anyone recommend some cam suppliers and cam specs. Ecotec with 1.97 rockers. I know about Crane and Crows, but what do people think of them.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well, I don't claim to know it all, but I've never heard of a broken cam bearing. They are fully supported within the block and sandwiched between the block and cam - how would you "break" one? I've heard of loose cam bearings which have drifted out of position within the block, but not broken ones.

As already said, the problem will be interesting to solve. Keep us informed.

vt dreamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE II SV6
I bet on the starter motor, probably has worn out, and different temperature makes certain metals sizes increase/decrease, and that could be the reason it only happens sometimes.

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
Is the noise in time with the revs of the engine? or is it more random? Could be something simple - don't let the mechanics take you to the cleaners.