Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
Gday guys, having a bit of a problem with my 93 VP, basicly my car has been sitting around for a couple of months without rego, i decided to start driving her again and when i started her up power steering fluid started leaking really badly from the top of the power steering pump, i got told by a bloke to replace the power steering pump, that would fix it. i had replaced the power steering pump with a reconditioned one and it is still leaking really badly, from top of the pump, although the steering felt a bit lighter then before with the old pump, but made a not so nice noise as well but i put that down to having not bled the system yet. ive spoken with a mechanic over the phone as its not driveable to his shop, he possibly reckons i might need a new steering rack? do yous think it could be another problem or just rip the steering rack out and replace it? any help or info would be greatly appreciated fellas

cheers heaps in advance guys
Jesse

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If the fluid is coming out at the top of the power steering pump I doubt it's a problem with the steering rack. What it could be is the O ring that seals the resevoirintot he top of the pump. You can get a new O Ring from Holden or just go to a local auto parts shop with your old O ring and they can give you one the same size.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok no worries thanks heaps for that i will try the O ring tommorrow, do you think if that doesnt work it might be a rack problem?

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
i tried the o rings, and it did put alot of the leaking to a halt, but when the engine is off it leaks a drip here n there. its making a little whining noise when i try turn the wheels also , do you think my lines or something could be blocked or a faulty pump has been sold to me or simply my rack is shagged? any advice would be great guys as mechanics are robbers in my area even for a trouble shooting process, thanks in advance once again cheers

VNVacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Vacationer
If the noise is not to loud its probably OK, have you bled the system? Also usually if the rack was shot you would get shuddering when doing hard lock turns.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
i have bled the system and the noise is gone, i am still trouble by a leak that comes out of steering pump could i have been sold a faulty pump?

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
i have bled the system and the noise is gone, i am still trouble by a leak that comes out of steering pump could i have been sold a faulty pump?

I know it's simple, but, have you checked the clamp for the hose on the side is properly tight, and that it hasn't been overfilled?

If the pump was run dry that will screw them, btw.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
i have bled the system , the noise is gone =] but its still leaking a bit onto the oil filter, i checked the hoses etc and its not them the leaking is coming from the resevoir o ring hole dripping in the pulley onto my oil filter and sometimes leaks down the back of the pump, any suggestions much appreciated

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Ive had this problem before, at first i fixed it with the O ring we are talking about. But after a while I found the best fix for a PS leak was a manual rack. :)

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm im starting to lean towards a new rack, if i cant find another soloution. although i think it may be something small, i might invest in some new lines or something any other ideas guys thankyou very much inn advance cheers guys