Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad sound in vx commodore

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
I'll give him a call tomorrow.
As above, I replaced the crank sensor on mine, and took two goes until I realised the ebay ones were crap. The repco ones are the same brand as the ebay crap.
Went genuine. no more troubles.
The ebay ones I got would be ok at low speed but when I gave it heaps, they would fail. Not "miss" but die completely.
I noticed that the sensor can sit fairly close to the steel vanes in the harmonic balancer. If they were hitting the sensor it might make the noise you describe. If you pulled off the harmonic balancer, you would be able to see where its been rubbing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx, vx supercharge both 2002 , ve 2007
You said "i have checked that the hamonic balencer was tight and not loose..." The balancers are apparently put on with no lubricant and the way they fit they're usually really tight and a near nightmare to get off. Have a look at the rubber on the front around the inner and outer edges - if it has small cracks in it it's on its way out. If the rubber splits, you'll notice it as it flaps around and causes a racket.
i havnt taken the harmonic balancer off yet but i can say it doesnt wobble or anything when running with or without the fan belt on

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll give him a call tomorrow.
As above, I replaced the crank sensor on mine, and took two goes until I realised the ebay ones were crap. The repco ones are the same brand as the ebay crap.
Went genuine. no more troubles.
The ebay ones I got would be ok at low speed but when I gave it heaps, they would fail. Not "miss" but die completely.
I noticed that the sensor can sit fairly close to the steel vanes in the harmonic balancer. If they were hitting the sensor it might make the noise you describe. If you pulled off the harmonic balancer, you would be able to see where its been rubbing.
i also think its not crank sensor as that goes on my vx supercharge alot and it does a wont start **** till i pour water on the motor and 15mins later it would start so im not thinking its crank but i maybe wrong to as i say im a girl with just the basics lol but im not also sure how to give my number or address do i just post it on here for you to pass to your mate?

Reaction score
Members Ride
i also think its not crank sensor as that goes on my vx supercharge alot and it does a wont start **** till i pour water on the motor and 15mins later it would start so im not thinking its crank but i maybe wrong to as i say im a girl with just the basics lol but im not also sure how to give my number or address do i just post it on here for you to pass to your mate?
so i need to pull the balancer **** lol hard for me but im gunna go down and try got carpel tunnel in my rist so may take a bit but worht it then ill come back read your message again and check everything you have said thank you so much

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Dont put your details up here. Let me contact my mate first. I tried to call him today but no answer (on any of his numbers) it's been a while since we spoke. He does some work for my old company from time to time, so I can call them tpo get his latest number if I cant get through. I "think" he was badly affected by the 2018 fires as well, so he may have changed his number. Leave that with me.
If you have done the sensor on your supercharged VX, as far as I know, the standard one should be the same?
Do you have a meccanic's stethoscope? Fairly cheap and can pinpoint odd noises.
With the belt off, where does the noise come from?

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have a lets say a sqeal like sound sota i thought it was the fan belt so tookit off started car again and sound is still there, i have checked that the hamonic balencer was tight and not loose but cause im a girl i dont know what else to check so took it to 2 mechanics and they have no idea as they havnt worked on these cars in a long time they say can anyone please guide me what to check as im now thinking is there something behind the harmonic balencer scraping or i dont know what would anyone else do TIA
hi guys thanks heaps for all your help but ive just found out that the sound is coming from the cam sharft thrust plate so as far as i would think i would still be able to drive it till it shits utself id sa it prob will leak oil bad first wouldnt it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Who diagnosed it? And what did they say about it?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Who diagnosed it? And what did they say about it?
sapphire marine and auto and the said the noise was actually coming from the back of the motor and it was a cam shaft thrust plate and it was rubbing and its going to just stop while driving so dont drive to far and once it leaks oil thats when the motor is just going to stop. i have another standard vx and a vx super charge but would cost around 1400 to swap motors over as he said once this thrust plate goes theres no point fixing it

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
How long has it been making the noise for? Does the noise go away if you rev it?
When you start it, does the oil warning light go straigt off or does it take a while?
When was the last oil and filter change done?