Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad sound quality, how to improve please?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hello there mates,

I decided to replace the 2 front speakers in my VZ with aftermarket ones, after the stock on the passenger side blew. I've heard here on the forum that the stock headunit produces 17 watts, however my new speakers have an RMS of 30 and a peak of 210 watts. The sound from them is a bit "inferior" and "tinny" as compared to the stocks in the rear doors. Am I missing something? Is there something else I need to install to improve the sound quality?

http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC-CS-V626-6-Car-Speakers-p/csv626.htm

B1n0ry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
There is no problem with those speakers being fed 'only' 17 watts. They should be slightly less efficient than the original paper cones (they need more power to get to the same volume level), but the head unit power should be more than sufficient.
What you might be experiencing is the sound being much brighter than with the original speakers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Did you modify the tweeters than are at the base of the windscreen? disconnect them maybe? That could be the cause of the extra 'tinny' sound.
I would maybe recommend moving those co-axials into the back doors, and getting a set of 2way splits, put the woofer in the door, and the tweeter where the factory tweeter is.
<edit> oops, I made it sound like disconnecting the tweeters would CAUSE the tinnyness, when I meant it as a suggestion.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Firstly you have replaced a split component set with a coaxial speaker. If your unsure of the difference, a coaxial has it's tweeter mounted in the centre of it's midbass / midrange driver. A split component setup will have a seperate mid driver and tweeter. The dissadvantage to mounting a coaxial speaker in your front door, is it's mounting position. Being so low down, it's not an ideal location to be directing midrange and high frequencies.

Secondly, you only spent $40. Now as bad as the factory speakers may have been, just buying an aftermarket speaker does not guarantee that they will be of any better quality. Spending this sort of money unfortunately really won't get you anywhere.

VYHDT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY HDT
Firstly you have replaced a split component set with a coaxial speaker. If your unsure of the difference, a coaxial has it's tweeter mounted in the centre of it's midbass / midrange driver. A split component setup will have a seperate mid driver and tweeter. The dissadvantage to mounting a coaxial speaker in your front door, is it's mounting position. Being so low down, it's not an ideal location to be directing midrange and high frequencies.

Secondly, you only spent $40. Now as bad as the factory speakers may have been, just buying an aftermarket speaker does not guarantee that they will be of any better quality. Spending this sort of money unfortunately really won't get you anywhere.

was going to say arent there splits in the front...
cos there were when i did mine

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It's also possible that if the OP has used the existing door speaker wire, that the inline capacitor responsible for seperating the frequencies to the tweeter is still in place. I'd highly doubt that someone would go to the trouble of removing the factory dash mounted tweeter itself when installing a set of coaxials, you would merely cut the wire. So it's quite possible that the tweeter is still receiving signal.

If this is the case there are two options.
Re-run new lenghts of cable to each speaker and just cut the existing wiring for the tweeter.
Disconnect the wiring to the tweeter in the coaxial speaker, and use the factory wiring and capacitor to re-create a split system. I would go with this option personally.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi, yeah I'm aware that the speakers are coaxial and have a tweeter mounted on each. However, I didn't know how different the sound would be since this was my first time doing this. But as in the previous reply, aren't the factory speakers coaxial in the first place?

Yes the guy used the existing door speaker wires, not the wires that came with the new ones. Does that have such an impact on the sound quality of the new speakers?

At the moment, I have the tweeters from the new speakers and the ones in the dashboard. So to "re-create" the configuration of a component system, I should disconnect the tweeters from the new speakers and leave the ones in the dashboard alone. Am I right there? And how can I disconnect the wiring to the those new tweeters?

Brenah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
This may be a stupid question. But in executive VZ are the stocks splits?

Yesterday i took out the stock front 6inches, and replaced with some pioneer 6inches.
Thinking it would sound a little better, but it doesn't. Doesn't seem to hold the same amount of Bass as the stocks.
Im now running with a fader to the rear slightly now because it is starting to annoy me.

Any ideas

And hi to everyone, im a nebie

Cheers
Brendan

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Brenah - What speakers have you installed? Have you checked the polarity, if you've wired them out of phase then it may explain the lack of bass response.

OP - I personally wouldn't be running more than one set of tweeters, not only would it be overly bright, but your having to distribute what little power your head unit already delivers, into even more speakers. You'll see the coaxials have seperate wiring going into the tweeters, simply cut this. The person who installed them for you should have know not to use the existing wire as the original tweeter would have remained connected. ( i hope it wasn't a professional installation that you had done. ) There's nothing wrong with the wire itself, refer to my above post about the inline capacitor used to filter out frequencies for the tweeter.

To answer you other question, in a VZ you'll only find coaxial speakers in the rear of the car. The front are a split system, as is from VR onwards to my knowledge.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I think I'll just leave it as it is. The job wasn't professionally done to start off with. I'm living in Saudi Arabia, the guys here don't even know what a Holden is. They only know how to wire up speakers, but they have very little knowledge on sound-systems in general, if any at all. Lowering the treble from +6 to +1 or +2 helps and I have he bass set constantly at max: +6.

Thanks for your help.

Brenah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
There just 30 watt 2 way coaxial. I'll go back and double check the polarity again.

So where is the tweeter in the front??? On the dash below the wind screen?

Cheers

Brendan