Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad vibration VS UTE

jleiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV ute
Hi guys! Driving the vs ute today and occasionally when driving it gets a shocking vibration through the whole car. The best way i can describe it is it sounds exactly like you have driven over the bumpy road markings on the edge of a highway! Only happens occasionally for 2-3 seconds at speeds varying from 70-110kph. Have replaced plugs and leads tonight and same thing. Any help would be appreciated!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If its happening between 70-110 it will be driveshaft related.

Check your uni joints and centre bearing on the tailshaft, they are probably due to be replaced.

One of the most common problems on these cars.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks for the feedback mate! I will check them out! Cheers

They may look ok visibly sometimes too so don't always trust a visual inspection.

They are cheap and the most common cause of vibration between those speeds so I would just try replacing them.

jleiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV ute
No worries, even an intermittant problem? Or would you expect more of a constant vibration from a joint? It sounds exactly like driving over the bumpy highway edge road markings and lasts a couple of seconds then stops

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
No worries, even an intermittant problem? Or would you expect more of a constant vibration from a joint? It sounds exactly like driving over the bumpy highway edge road markings and lasts a couple of seconds then stops

Depends how severe the wear is.

jleiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV ute
So tonight i raised the car and was only able to get a very very tiny amount of play in the uni joints it would be 1mm or less jiggle. As for around the centre bearing the rubber is still in-tact with small cracks in the rubber but seems to be fully in-tact... Thoughts guys? It only happened once today the bad vibration then stopped.

I did try somthigg different today i held the car in 3rd gear and about 60-70kph i would give the throttle short/quick bursts of the throttle and was getting a metal on metal twang/bang sound. Any thoughts guys?

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Big problem with VE AFM at the moment causing those kind of vibrations under certain circumstances on the freeway