Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Baille tips?

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Hey guys,

I have some E1 Bimodals on my VE Ute, and I want to add baille tips to them. Is it possible to do this? I want to keep the Vacuum actuation of the E1s, but also want the really nice note those tips make.

More importantly, how do these things work?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The below pic shows a cross section of a baillie tip exhaust pinched from the Doctor Dave’s legacy: the ‘Baillie’ tip section of this article.
holden-commodore-exhaust-piping-engine-noise-into-car.jpg

The working principle is just like any musical wind instrument. So it's nothing new but definitelya novel motoring application of existing knowledge :)

I remember reading on JC forum that the tips are stainless and the manufacturing fault rate was quite high @ 50%?, probably due to tight tolerances.
I'd guess if the hole and the outer tip chamber aren't made to high tolerance, then the resulting sound would not be as desired :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So quite literally it's just a hole cut out in the pipe allowing air to leave the tip earlier, essentially allowing for a greater cross-sectional area for air to escape without the use of bigger pipes? I think that in this case the Bimodals would be contributing more to the noise of the engine, right?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So quite literally it's just a hole cut out in the pipe allowing air to leave the tip earlier, essentially allowing for a greater cross-sectional area for air to escape without the use of bigger pipes? I think that in this case the Bimodals would be contributing more to the noise of the engine, right?
It's to direct the noise under the boot for better/louder sound ...

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
It's to direct the noise under the boot for better/louder sound ...
Ah! That makes sense then.

So it'd have little to no effect on a Ute then, since there's no real cabin to direct the exhaust noise into.

Noted!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In the article I linked it was said the baillie tip directs sound onto the boot floor but as the cutout looks, it can only direct sound backwards. The outer exhaust tube (the shiny decorative bit) is sealed to the inner exhaust tube at the front and open at the rear while the hole you see is in the inner exhaust tube... the tone that such makes must depend on airspeed, hole size and chamber volume between the outer exhaust tip and inner exhaust tube...

And I doubt the floor resonates in any way to add to the aural pleasure while all the insulation they put in modern cars will work at cutting any sound and vibration transmission into the cabin. Most of the sound you hear inside is from the motor sound enhancer (that plumbs intake sounds through a diaphragm and into the cabin via a pipe) unless you open a window.

If you’ve ever played a wind instrument, think of the baillie tip as a flute you poke into a large pipe. When you start to play some sound will be directed back at you ;)

Whether a baillie tip would sound as good in a Ute is anyone’s guess but I’d have assumed the magnum has such an exhaust and I’d expect they’d sound better than the run of the mill utes. Maybe one of the magnum owners can chime in :rolleyes:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Whether a baillie tip would sound as good in a Ute is anyone’s guess but I’d have assumed the magnum has such an exhaust and I’d expect they’d sound better than the run of the mill utes. Maybe one of the magnum owners can chime in :rolleyes:

Unfortunately No. Holden Utes is classified as a.commercial vehicle. Their noise db limit is lower then the db limit for sedans. Ute mufflers have more roving in them to quieten them down. What we did with my cousins Magnum Ute, was he bought a set of VF2 sedan/wagon bimodal mufflers from planet parts. He welded the Ute tips on them as sedan/wagon tips are too short for Utes. He is happy camper as his Ute is as loud as his VF2 Redline sedan. His mates with VF2 Utes have also done the same after hearing his.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I have a vf2 ute with hsv midpipe (otherwise stock)

she loud

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Unfortunately No. Holden Utes is classified as a.commercial vehicle. Their noise db limit is lower then the db limit for sedans. Ute mufflers have more roving in them to quieten them down. What we did with my cousins Magnum Ute, was he bought a set of VF2 sedan/wagon bimodal mufflers from planet parts. He welded the Ute tips on them as sedan/wagon tips are too short for Utes. He is happy camper as his Ute is as loud as his VF2 Redline sedan. His mates with VF2 Utes have also done the same after hearing his.

I'd like to see the sound difference comparison.

So what I got from this was;
sedan tips are louder than utes because fun police, cut off sedan tips, Cut off ute tips, weld sedan tips to Ute mufflers, bob's your uncle.

Reckon that VF2 Bailles would work well on some VE2 Bimodals?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I'd like to see the sound difference comparison.
So what I got from this was;
sedan tips are louder than utes because fun police, cut off sedan tips, Cut off ute tips, weld sedan tips to Ute mufflers, bob's your uncle.
Reckon that VF2 Bailles would work well on some VE2 Bimodals?

No, sedan/wagon tips are too short for a Ute, hence why he welded the Ute tips onto the sedan/wagon mufflers as he owns a VF2 magnum Ute.
Stock VF2 Ute bimodal mufflers are quieter then stock VF2 Sedan/wagon bimodal mufflers due to Holden classifying Ute as a commercial vehicle. Commercial vehicles have a lower exhaust db limit then passenger cars.

What I'm saying is, fit sedan mufflers to your Ute if u want a bit louder without going to after market mufflers.

Last edited: